Sighting In?

Nate23

I recieved a Benelli Super Nova 12 ga for Christmas and use it primarily as a waterfowling gun. It has a 28 in barrel. However, I want it to pull double duty for Turkeys this year (first year trying for one).

I have been working to get the adjustable, removable sights lined up for a tight, consistant pattern. But I have not been getting the success I hoped. The sights I have put on the gun are Tru Glo Magnum Gobble Dot Sights. The sights have adjustable windage and elevation features. First couple shots, low and right. So after firing a couple more shots, I get the elevation correct. However, after shooting at the 3x3 paper, I just can't seem to get the windage correct. I moved the rear sight all the way to the left (won't go any farther), and the pattern got closer to the aim point, but never got centered. As far as I can tell, it seems like the center of the pattern is still 4" to the right of the aim point. Is it possible that the gun is not shooting straight from the factory(ie. needs some work on the barrel etc.)?

One other quick question I have is:
Will polishing the barrel help? I a couple of friends who have done this and said it worked wonders for them. However, I am reluctant to do this since this gun sees a decent amount of time on the water during goose/duck season and I don't want to do anything to it to make it more susceptable to corrosion.

Thanks for your help,

Nate:shoot:

Philbow

Does it use interchangable chokes? If so, try another choke and see if it has a different point of impact. If it does use interchangable chokes either the barrel or the choke you're now using could be "off". By changing chokes you should be able to identify which is the problem. If it has a fixed choke you should contact Benelli about the problem.

If you can change chokes you could use light dove loads to check point of impact changes. No need to get slammed by turkey loads just to check POI.

Nate23

It's got interchangables. I've shot to the right of the aim point with both a primos and a CnC tube. I mean is it possbile that benelli sent out a gun with a barrel that screwed up?

ShallowRio

If you have any doubt about the quality of this barrel, have it checked out first.

Stick the Improved Cylinder tube in it and shoot some cheap Remington slugers for site in. Then go back to your Turkey load and Turkey choke tube to conferm.
DO NOT SHOOT SLUGS THROUGH ANYTHING EXCEPT AN IMPROVED CYLINDER CHOKE TUBE.

GA DAWG

Benelli just from what I've been around are bad about this.I know of many that have been sent back to have them fixed.I just had a friend send his back for this same problem and hes not gonna get it back by turkey season.He got his for christmas also.They are way way behind in gun repairs.I've got one thats been sent back 2 times for shooting LOW.Its finally better.Your best bet would be get in touch with gunn doc on this board and let him fix your problem.

gblrklr

I would shoot the gun without the sights on it to rule out Tru-Glows. Eliminate as many variables as possible. With that said, my Beretta Xtrema (same group) was delivered with a barrel that had to have the chokes "reseated." I was more than a little disappointed that a $1100 gun was delivered in this condition. As GA Dawg said, if you have to send it back, be prepared for a wait.