Turkey population?

Ricochet

I finally got some pics of turkey on my grandpa's place...as seen here: http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=100411

These pics show 5 hens and no Toms, but I went to check this trailcam this afternoon and I spooked them. I saw a jake fly off to the hens and then they all flew off. I think this flock is from a hen I saw last season and it was reported that she nested in the neighbors' backyard. You can see the boss hen telescope in the photos linked above. So, I think she had 4 hens and 1 jake survive from her clutch last year. I also heard the gobbler that probably mated with her last season, so my question is should I blast him if I see him this season or let him go? I imagine there are other Toms in the area put I'm not sure. I want to make sure all those hens are mated with and stay in the area.

Last edited:

Ricochet

Hmmm...I guess my ? didn't make sense or it was a stupid. :huh: I'm basically asking if I blast the Tom when he appears this season, will it hurt the turkey population that is there?

Also, on the way to Home Depot I saw a flock of turkeys in a pasture off Price Rd. not far from my house. I counted 15 total and 7 deer right with them. There was a few turkeys chasing each other around...probably jakes. They were part of the group of 12 and then there was 3 off to the side by themselves, and it appeared they were the big boys...I could easily see a nice long beard on 1 of them. I wish I knew the people that owned that land. :)

Any ways, today was a great day for seeing turkey (I wish I had my camera with me)! :banana:

Last edited:

tom turkey 2x2

kill the adult goggler

the hens will probably already be bred when the season opens, that is the reason the state opens the season when they do!

Ricochet

the hens will probably already be bred when the season opens, that is the reason the state opens the season when they do!

Ok, thanks...so I take it that was a stupid question from your ! response. :smash:

Well, I'm sure some other Tom will pop up next season...provided I get him this season.

jcarter

Banned
i would say there is another tom somewhere nearby should that one meet his demise. they have a way of moving in when there are hens available. sometimes the older toms will be grouped together in twos and wont be with the hens and young birds until its time for breeding.

Ricochet

i would say there is another tom somewhere nearby should that one meet his demise. they have a way of moving in when there are hens available. sometimes the older toms will be grouped together in twos and wont be with the hens and young birds until its time for breeding.

Thanks, I think so too. :cheers:

tom turkey 2x2

not a stupid question

I did not mean for my response to sound as thou it was a stupid question, I thought it was a valid question ,or I would not have replied!

Ricochet

I did not mean for my response to sound as thou it was a stupid question, I thought it was a valid question ,or I would not have replied!

No worries, the exclamation point(s) can be misinterpreted. :cheers: