Box Call Decoration......????

CAL

Just curious,does a box turkey call seem to sound better with decorations?I was just wondering if engraved leaves,flowers,checkering,turkey tracks,inlayed strips and whatever else make a call more appealing to the individual that buys a handmade box or not?Are you reading this as an individual who had rather have the call for it's sound or visual appearance or do you want both.

I have a friend that I hunt with and his handmade call is splitting down the middle from the screw that was drilled out wrong.Just a matter of time before it quits sounding as it once did.Moisture has gotten into the laminate inlay and it is beginning to separate as well.Of coarse he has been hunting with it many years too.Just wondering if anyone has given this any thought?

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Cal the wood color and cut mean more to me than the markings from the author. Sounds of course is the utmost to me since I am not really a collector and will carry mine in the woods

Killdee

Neil Cost said the checkering in his style boxs were for the sound rather than the decoration.The ones I build checkered or not are for the sound period.Some of the calls Ive seen lately were way to purdy to hunt with,more art than hunting equipment.I wish I had 1 of all of em.

GADAWGS

Anything you do, no matter how slight, will effect the sound of a call. I checker alot of my calls, just a personal preference. One day I will try carving