Latest leatherwork

dutchman

My first attempt at a "finished" shooter's bag. By finished, I mean dyed. The design is my own using a homemade pattern. Started out with tooling leather, traced the pattern, cut it out, put a stitching groove on it, marked the stitch pattern, edged it, dyed it, and put it together.

This one is made from 4-5 oz cowhide (pretty heavy stuff). Three piece construction (front, back w/flap, plus a 1-1/4" gussett), saddle stitched by hand (no machine). The bag is a deep "D" shape and the flap is a scalloped beaver tail shape, more or less. To be a true beaver tail, it would need to be a bit more narrow toward the tip of the flap. The inside of the flap at the fold is skived (leather actually thinned with a tool) to make it bend more easily. The bag measures 8" x 8".

All that's left to do is to add the shoulder strap and the bag will be finished. I'm still toying with ideas about the strap, but it will likely be two piece construction with a buckle to allow for adjustments in the fit.

Attachments

• bag1.jpg
    bag1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 173
  • bag2.jpg
    bag2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 172
  • bag3.jpg
    bag3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

60Grit

Nice job dutch.

Once finished is there a need for the likes of mink oil or other repellents to keep the leather pliable as well as water repellent or does the stain/dye do the job??

dutchman

Nice job dutch.

Once finished is there a need for the likes of mink oil or other repellents to keep the leather pliable as well as water repellent or does the stain/dye do the job??

Thank you, Scooter.

You could certainly treat the finished produce with any leather treatment product you 'd like. The dye really does nothing but add color. I did finish the dyed parts with a product designed to set the dye (so it won't stain clothing) and to add shine. But those do nothing to preserve or waterproof the leather.

Al33

That is one sharp looking bag Dutch!:cool: I have no need for a shooting bag but you got me to thinking about a side quiver I have been planning on making. I have the pattern and the leather to cut it from but already know it will not look anything as classy as your work.

Good job!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That`s a dead ringer for some of the riflemen and hunters bags of 200 and more years ago. Very fine workmanship!! You will do well with those!

dutchman

very nice stitching, I have the hardest time with that, keeping it looking nice and even. Where will you attach the strap?

Doing that stitching makes your hands sore, don't it?

I haven't decided how I'll attach the strap just yet, but I'm leaning toward attaching a couple of brass rings or D rings to the back of the bag with stitched loops and then the strap to the rings.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Looks good dutch.

Handgunner

Nice lookin' work, Dutchman!