What kind of Arrowhead is this?

PFDR1

I found my first Arrowhead and was more excited than I would have been if I found a piece of gold. Can anyone tell me what kind it is? Any help is very appreciated.:cool: :clap: :yeah:

Attachments

• dscn3960aw3.jpg
    dscn3960aw3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 420

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
What kind?

Difficult to tell from some pictures and this is one of 'em.

But from what I see, it's probably an exhausted Kirk form.
Early Archaic, made of raw chert and dating to about 5-6 K BC.
exhausted means it was much larger at one time, has seen use and many resharpenings. So many, only a nub was left exposed from under the haft, then it was discarded. Thousands of years later you came along and found it. First person to hold that thing in years. You got the bug now for sure.
Good examples can be seen at Http://www.sonandersonartifacts.com

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
What kind?

Here's a picture of some SW Ga Kirk Points, the short one's are completely exhausted. Serrations can be worn off from an exhausted point.

firstkirks.jpg

PFDR1

Son! Thank you for the reply. :yeah: :yeah: I am now catching myself staring at the ground alot more.:bounce:

tracker

point

A man I know calls them "generic stemmed Archaic points" :rofl: any time he doesn't know off the top of his head, which is very rare!

Danny

Handgunner

Nice find.. Any day you find an arrowhead a good day.

I never pick one up and not think "I wonder what the last person that held this point looked like and how it wound up here...?"

Kinda neat to think that it's not been touched in YEARS! Furthermore, you have the ONLY one like it.. A fingerprint to the past.

Bow Only

The problem with Kirks is you've got an old variety like the Kirk Corner Notch that's maybe one or two thousand years older than what most people call the Kirk Serrated. It's probably an entirely different culture.

As I type this, I've got 7 hens in bow range. Twelve more just outside bow range. Not a thread hijack, but have you ever seen a turkey run full speed. They can move extremely fast.