PDA

View Full Version : Grunting for worms

Duramax
02-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Have any of ya'll on here ever grunted for worms? Or even know what grunting for worms is?

It is where you drive a piece of wood in the ground and take a hand saw and run the back of the blade over the piece of wood to make a grunting sound. It is supposed to make worms come to the surface of the ground.

Just curious...

FERAL ONE
02-27-2007, 03:23 AM
duramax, i have but we drove the stake in the ground and hit it with a smaller one to make it vibrate. worms think it is raining and come to the surface. been forever and a day ago !!! the best thing i ever used was a deal my grandad had which looked like 2 screwdrivers. one had a hot wire and one had a neutral wire. you stick them in the ground about 6 feet apart and the worms RAN out of the ground!!!

the stick thing we called tickling.

disclaimer **** this will kill you if you do not know what you are doing!!! that is the reason this ain't on the market anymore !!! if you make one of these by yourself, your obituary will read ------ NEVER MIND WHAT KILLED HIM, WE ARE ALL BETTER OFF!!!!

No. GA. Mt. Man
02-27-2007, 05:22 AM
I think most any kind of vibration will do the trick.

lott
02-27-2007, 06:33 AM
i done it with my dad some 30 years ago.dont ever hear of it any more.we would drive a stake in the ground and rub a flat rock over the stake to make the vibration.seems like the best places to do it was the grassey areas around churches.best if it has some partial shade&sun

Snakeman
02-27-2007, 08:48 AM
I didn't know you could buy worms at the store until I was about 12 years old. Dad would take us out before daylight and we would grunt worms until it started to get warm in the morning. We used a wooden stake (usually a broken axe handle that had been sharpened to a point on one end), and a brick. It had to be an old, solid brick. The "new" ones with the holes in them wouldn't work.

I have never been able to grunt worms as good as Dad could. Just another thing that I didn't pay close enough attention to........

The Snakeman

Son
02-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Drive stakes where you see worm sign. Little doodles on the surface where they fed at night. Rub the stake with a brick until worms appear. I believe they think it's a mole coming so the run to the surface. If you're lazy, just crank a big tractor and leave it running in a good place and they'll come up too.

patchestc
02-27-2007, 09:14 AM
used to grunt 'em up in the cow pasture when i was a kid.
we called it a stob, and rubbed it with a brick. i think the vibrations tickled 'em and drove 'em to the surface. almost
as much fun as fishing. my kids think i'm making it up.

THREEJAYS
02-27-2007, 09:17 AM
heard of it but never tried it

holton27596
02-27-2007, 09:20 AM
we rubbed the stick with the head of an ax. Ive heard that placing a running chainsaw on the ground will also work, but havent tried that. I have seen a device sold that you put into the ground that sends a mild current into the ground that is supposed to work well.

Bill Brown
02-27-2007, 09:25 AM
My Father had a home-made device that was two rods (with wood handles) that were inserted into the ground and hooked to a car battery. It worked.

gadeerwoman
02-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Yep. Done it a man a time back in my younger days. My Dad taught me.

georgiaboy
02-27-2007, 06:22 PM
I still do it at my parents pond if they run out of meal worms. I am too sorry to bring my own worms, so I use the ones that conveniently live about 10 feet from the dock! I haven't used the brick method, but I have tapped sticks and also "doodled" like you used to do for doodle bugs. :cool:

Derek Edge
02-27-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm sorry to say, but we found the best places to grunt worms were churches and their cemetaries. We use to get a pail load of those things at a time.

Nicodemus
02-27-2007, 07:00 PM
I didn't know you could buy worms at the store until I was about 12 years old. Dad would take us out before daylight and we would grunt worms until it started to get warm in the morning. We used a wooden stake (usually a broken axe handle that had been sharpened to a point on one end), and a brick. It had to be an old, solid brick. The "new" ones with the holes in them wouldn't work.

I have never been able to grunt worms as good as Dad could. Just another thing that I didn't pay close enough attention to........

The Snakeman

Yep, it works well!! Still does too!

Dixiesimpleman32
02-27-2007, 07:19 PM
I used to do it when i was a kid.dont really have time to do it now unless im showing someone it works.my brother still does it.fish on.

ellaville hunter
02-27-2007, 07:23 PM
a piece of wood and a brick is all you need or crank a chain saw and just set it on the ground and here they come it is the vibration that does it

Buck
02-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Never grunted any worms, but... :offtopic: I have caught many a Spring Lizards at night with a coat hanger tipped with night crawler. Some really good times back then… In fact, I think I’ll show the kids how to do that this summer…

the HEED!
02-28-2007, 11:26 AM
see thats what great about this site, there is all kind of outdoor knowledge dispersed daily to people that had no idea, I always just used a hoe and turned over my grandads garden patch, worms a plenty

Sargent
02-28-2007, 11:42 AM
I remember my grandpa doing this, but I have never heard it referred to by "grunting".

I have to say, though... this gets my vote for the funniest topic title ever.

Buck
02-28-2007, 12:24 PM
I have to say, though... this gets my vote for the funniest topic title ever.

Nope... "Shaving a squirrel", to bad that one was posted on a Saturday and didn't get many replies.

MudDucker
02-28-2007, 04:35 PM
i done it with my dad some 30 years ago.dont ever hear of it any more.we would drive a stake in the ground and rub a flat rock over the stake to make the vibration.seems like the best places to do it was the grassey areas around churches.best if it has some partial shade&sun

This is how I learned to do it. Used to be the main source of income for the little town of Jenna, Florida.

I soon learned that a weak solution of water and detergent acted quicker than a grunting stick ;)

packrat
02-28-2007, 09:19 PM
I thought I was the only one left that did this. I grunt mine up with a 5 prong pitchfork and a ground rod. I told a middle school teacher about this and she looked at me like I was telling a joke. I showed her and her mouth fell open like I had performed some kinda miracle. Last August, one day after a large rain I set my record of a "SINGLE GRUNTIN" (237 worms). My son couldn't pic them up fast enough. Just for the record a "single gruntin" is considered
not moving pitchfork after it has been pushed into the ground. I'll grunt them up and keep them in a plastic trash can in the shade till I fish. A little Laying Mash tossed in once a week will keep them alive and strong.

contender*
02-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Around a dog lot is a good place too although I have never tried it myself, I have witnessed it.

SmokyMtnSmoke
03-01-2007, 10:02 AM
...the best thing i ever used was a deal my grandad had which looked like 2 screwdrivers. one had a hot wire and one had a neutral wire. you stick them in the ground about 6 feet apart and the worms RAN out of the ground!!!

the stick thing we called tickling.

disclaimer **** this will kill you if you do not know what you are doing!!! that is the reason this ain't on the market anymore !!! if you make one of these by yourself, your obituary will read ------ NEVER MIND WHAT KILLED HIM, WE ARE ALL BETTER OFF!!!!

Hey, I use to do the same thing when I was a kid. Two iron rods about 2 feet long with wooden handles about 6 feet or so apart. Hot wire to one, neutral to the other after a good rain. Put on your rubber boots and rubber gloves. Plug her in and the would RUN out of the ground.

I haven't thought of that in many a coons age. :)

Please HEED the disclaimer as stated above. :D YMMV!

CollinsCraft77
03-01-2007, 11:36 AM
just out of curiousity, great thread, but how long does it take for them to come up? Do you do it only after a rain or anytime? This would be fun to try.

RiverRunner
03-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Down here we have a annual Worm Grunting Festival in Sopchoppy, Florida. As a matter of fact it's coming up soon. http://www.wakullacounty.org/worm_festival.htm

Snakeman
03-01-2007, 12:21 PM
just out of curiousity, great thread, but how long does it take for them to come up? Do you do it only after a rain or anytime? This would be fun to try.
There are variables at work here.........

You can grunt for worms at any time, but the reason many do it after a rain, and the reason we did it early in the morning has to do with how deep the worms are in the ground. The worms are closer to the surface after a rain and at night. As the sun warms the ground in the day, the worms burrow deeper to avoid the heat.

How long it takes for them to come up depends on how deep they are, and how effective the "tickling" is. Harder ground will transmit the vibrations deeper and farther, extending the effective range of the operation.

The Snakeman

packrat
03-01-2007, 07:01 PM
There are variables at work here.........

You can grunt for worms at any time, but the reason many do it after a rain, and the reason we did it early in the morning has to do with how deep the worms are in the ground. The worms are closer to the surface after a rain and at night. As the sun warms the ground in the day, the worms burrow deeper to avoid the heat.

How long it takes for them to come up depends on how deep they are, and how effective the "tickling" is. Harder ground will transmit the vibrations deeper and farther, extending the effective range of the operation.

The Snakeman

Snakeman hit it directly on the head. Take in consideration that it works best in areas with good sign -"worm castings on the ground" . Soapy water method as stated in earlier post will work but the worms will slime-out quickly then die.