Help

ncman

I have killed 2 Toms in my two years of turkey hunting. Both kills I took straight to taxidermy. I have no idea how to field dress one and would like a step by step staight into the pan or frydaddy or whatever. Im not gonna pay $350 for a mount this year and desire to taste one badly as I have heard how good they are. Thanks in advance.
Josh

dutchman

I skin 'em.
1. Hang 'em by the neck.
2. Cut the wings off at the joint closest to the body.
3. Cut the legs (feet) off at the "knees."
4. Cut a ring in the skin around the neck and start working it down. It gets a little harder at the bones where the wings were.
5. Work all the way down to the legs and you're done, except for the guts. It should be easy after that.

Last edited:

ncman

I was told by another person to first pull off some feathers and then cut a slit down the breast and pull out the breast like a dove. Then take the breast and buttermilk it and flour it and fry it. Sounds good.

matthewsman

If you

cut carefully thru the middle of the breast,you can fillet the two breast halves out and still go to woody with it,donnie

hawglips

Banned
You might want to try filleting the breast out, cutting it into strips, marinade overnight in your favorite sauce, then grill it, being careful not to overcook it.

Yum, yum good.

Hal

Gadget

Most everyone I know only eats the breasts, very easy to breast one out. No plucking, no skinning, a couple of minutes and your done. Not enough meat on the rest to worry about.

gblrklr

I used to throw the legs and thighs away too, but last year I started keeping them and making gumbo. I usually add some chicken for fat, but otherwise it is just turkey. It is really good.