Durana clover planting

Donkeytoe

Would like to plant my plots this year in durana clover. It appears to me that it can be planted in either spring or fall. Anybody else out there considering it and looked into it? It's expensive so want to do it right. Any suggestions on a secondary crop to include with it?

gadeerwoman

Like most white/ladino clovers duranna will do best when planted in fall. However you can plant it in late winter/early spring and still have a decent clover plot the 2nd year. The biggest problem with spring seeding is that you have a ton of grass and weed competition before the clover has a chance to establish a good root system. Competition means the clover will get fewer nutrients and less moisture. A perennial clover will spend most of its first growing season producing a good root system and putting most of its growth effort into roots instead of leaves. I like to use cereal grains as cover crops when seeding clovers. They will grow fast and protect the young clover by taking the forage pressure off until the clover has time to get at least 6 months growth.