I'm getting frustrated !!!!

Jody Hawk

Arrow3 and Gobblingdawg can back me on this, I've got as good a place to turkey hunt as anyone. There's a problem though. My club land is less than a half mile from the International Paper wood chipping plant in Madison and it is noisy. I rode up there this morning just to see what they were doing that made this much racket. They take about twenty pine logs at a time, drop them into this huge machine that grinds them up. I can't believe the folks that live in that area allowed them to put that plant there. It's so loud that you can't hear yourself think much less a turkey gobble. Unless you are right up on him you'll never hear him. Some mornings it's not as noisy as others. As pretty as this morning was, I never heard a thing except what sounded like World War III half mile up the road. It's got me frustrated. :banginghe

Thunderbeard

Hang in the Jody. I took two people with me opening weekend and told them where to go. They both killed and I didn't even hear a bird.

Randy

At least you got birds even if you can't hear them. My place is perfectly quiet!

DaddyPaul

Jody,
I have a sawmill that actually sits in our lease down here in Florida. I rarely hunt up on that end due to the noise. You have to be right on top of them to hear them. Hang in there dude it'll happen.

Glenn

Jody I have hunted some areas that were real close to major highways and I feel your pain. At least I would get a break between Semi's.

But it sounds like your problem is non-stop...

Maybe you could ask the supervisor of the plant to lay off chipping trees from 7:00 am to about 7:30 am to give you enough time to hear one gobble and get on them.

:pop:

DDD

Winter Weatherman
Jody,

I used to turkey hunt right near the Dragway up in Commerce, and on Saturday's it was a nightmare!

Only thing we would try is to call between roars. At least the old boys knew where we were, even though we did not know where they were.

short stop

Jody I was 6 miles from you this morning birds gobblin everywhere --- I knuckle headed it to close to a big bird on the roost this morning before daylight ''trying to push my luck '' --- heard em all morning but no dead weight on my shoulder yet ----talk about frustrated .

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Jody,
This morning I felt your pain. We had logging trucks going by us all morning. Heard two gobblers but could not get to work. Think they were henned up. Also had a yote come in on us but I could not get a clear shot at him before he turn and ran.
Good Luck, Tim

Arrow3

I'll vouch for Jody....He's got the birds and some pretty woods to hunt them in....That dang plant will get on your nerves though!!!

Minner

I'm frustrated as well. I have yet to hear a single bird, hen or gobbler. I hunted the first three days and didn't hear a thing. There was fresh sign in the area, just nothing talking. My Dad has been out every single morning and hasn't heard a thing either.

If'n things don't change soon, I'll be hanging up my gun and vest and getting out the fishing rods.

Randy

I tell ya'll. With this heat down here in Middle Ga. I am about ready to head for the mountains.

S

Sugar Hill Scouter

I tell ya'll. With this heat down here in Middle Ga. I am about ready to head for the mountains.

Randy, I thought you were hunting Piedmont this week. I just got a call from Dutchman. He killed one there this morning. That's # 2 for him so far. :shoot: :shoot:

duckbill

The timber crews were on our property last weekend working. Nobody would go to that end because of the noise. Well, almost nobody. One guy went down there and he was the only guy to kill a bird:rolleyes: . He said he never heard anything. He just looked up and there was a gobbler checking out his decoys. You just never know.

Jody, can you get in there one afternoon and put one to bed? That would be your best bet, IMO.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Randy, I thought you were hunting Piedmont this week. I just got a call from Dutchman. He killed one there this morning. That's # 2 for him so far. :shoot: :shoot:

That boy's got the luck, and the touch.