Another fine hunt at Piedmont NWR

dutchman

Had a great hunt this past week at Piedmont. KO'd bird #2 for the year on Wednesday, 3/28. First heard him at 7:15 a.m. on the roost and wound up calling him across a creek to make the kill at 9:10 a.m. It was a great experience. He came up from an unexpected angle and I heard him drumming. Got to watch him strut a little and saw him gobble his last at 37 steps.

16-3/4#
9-5/8" beard
3/4" spurs

I don't know about the rest of y'all but I'm having fun!

Called this bird in using a CAL short mahagony box that he build for me. Thanks, CAL!

Attachments

• DSCN0791 (600 x 450).jpg
    DSCN0791 (600 x 450).jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

BOSSOFTHEWOODS

Congrats! Or maybe aw,rats ,2 less for me to hunt startin the 10th. J/K :cheers: I'm on vac all wk for the 2nd hunt.Saw 7 longbeards together on scoutin trip late Feb. Do u know total numbers for hunt? The "hot now" lite was sure lit just north of there last weekend.

Arrow3

WTG Gene!!! Lay them in the shade!! :yeah:

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Congrats Gene on a nice Tom. It was a pleasure meeting you this week and spending sometime with someone else that could talk turkey with me. Oh and by the way.....The CHERRY POPS on monday morning...;) Ya know what I mean? Camera man and all.:banana: :banana: :banana: Come back sometime and we will go hunt together. If it would be possible when you get #3, could I borrow that sweet sounding box call ya got? :biggrin2:
Good Luck, Tim

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Way to go Gene!! You pilin` em up in fine fashion! At the rate you`re goin`, you gonna have all my feathers! :D :cheers:

dutchman

Do u know total numbers for hunt?

I do not have the final total, but as of 10:30 a.m. on Friday, we'd killed 32. Compare that to the total for the entire 2006 season total of 38 and you'll see that success rates have soared.

Of course, 32 is less than 1 bird killed per 1000 acres at Piedmont so there may be a few left.;)

hawglips

Banned
Congratulations Dutch!!

dutchman

Thanks everyone.

Congrats Gene on a nice Tom. It was a pleasure meeting you this week and spending sometime with someone else that could talk turkey with me. Oh and by the way.....The CHERRY POPS on monday morning...;) Ya know what I mean? Camera man and all.:banana: :banana: :banana: Come back sometime and we will go hunt together. If it would be possible when you get #3, could I borrow that sweet sounding box call ya got? :biggrin2:
Good Luck, Tim

Thanks, Tim. The pleasure was all mine. Good luck tomorrow on that "fruity" spot. Maybe you'll get one of those long beards we saw in that field.:cool:

I have a little surprise in store for your youngest. You'll know it when you see it posted.;)

By the way, here's what my camp looked like for anyone who may have ridden through looking for it and was unable to locate it!:whip:

SCPO and Mike's camp is shown in the background.

Attachments

• DSCN0800 (600 x 450).jpg
    DSCN0800 (600 x 450).jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

Woody's Janitor

Mean Gene the killing machine!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I bet there was some serious cookin` and good food at that camp in the evenin` time!!

M.R.D.

Banned
Good Job!!! Me and 2 friends of mine hunted PNWR Last week as well. We heard birds sound off every morning. When they flew down they went straight to the hens. We saw a total of 7 jakes and 3 gobblers. Plus 24 hens(some of them could have been the same) 1 of the gobblers got waxed Thursday afternoon. 16#, 9 inch beard with 1 inch spurs. Overall all we had a blast for our first trip down there, very beautiful country. Anyone hear the final totals?
There were 32 killed as of 6 p.m. Thursday. Considering they told us at the check in that all of last year only 38 had been killed over 3 quota hunts.

M.R.D.

SCPO

food

I bet there was some serious cookin` and good food at that camp in the evenin` time!!

nicodemus
we were camped across road from dutch and you are right about food being cooked. he fixed a blackberry cobble wed night that wasn't very good. i could only eat a lb of it. plus we had a good time sitting around camp fires telling war stories. looking forward to next year with dutchman.:bounce:

dutchman

nicodemus
we were camped across road from dutch and you are right about food being cooked. he fixed a blackberry cobble wed night that wasn't very good. i could only eat a lb of it. plus we had a good time sitting around camp fires telling war stories. looking forward to next year with dutchman.:bounce:

SCPO, you, Mike, and I may as well put in together. We evidently can't count on the other guys we put in with.:bounce:

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yall put me in too....I will get permission from my wife. :)Told Conner about something special comming from Gene and she is like we were last Friday.......You know, The Fat Kid on the way to the Candy Store....:rofl: :rofl: Good Luck, Tim

Greg Tench

Congratulations Gene !!! I didnt know you had gotten #2 !!! Must be something about being teamed with Brandon in this challenge.::ke: ::ke: :bounce:

Arrow3

Congratulations Gene !!! I didnt know you had gotten #2 !!! Must be something about being teamed with Brandon in this challenge.::ke: ::ke: :bounce:

Ha!! What does that mean?:bounce: