Spit-N-Drum Question???

Outdoor-Writer07

Back when I first started turkey hunting, I had a fella try and give me some advice about turkey hunting. He told me that while calling a gobbler, if he came in a you could here him spit-n-drum he was obviously close enough to shoot. I kinda shrugged my shoulders and took it like any another advice and went on. Well, after last turkey season I had just remembered that guy telling me that. I had two birds last year that were spit-n-drumming, but I didn't pull the trigger. I was just afraid they were too far away. I hunt with the 3 1/2" #5's out of a Benelli Nova with a Gobbling Thunder .655 choke. So, is there any truth to that saying of when you hear him spit-n-drum, he's close enough to shoot???? :shoot:

gobblinglawyer

Not necessarily. I have heard birds drum from as far away as 100 yards and have heard birds spit and drum from as far as 50 yards.

I would recommend using your own personal judgment on whether or not to shoot. That Nova will probably reach out on one at 50 or 60 yards, but I would recommend keeping it to 40 yards and under.

Outdoor-Writer07

That's what I was thinking...

I had one bird last year that ended up killing spit-n-drum at about 60 -75 yds away. I killed him 2 days later at 12 steps with the benelli. Was just wanting to check up on that and see if there was any truth in it.

hawglips

Banned
It depends on how bad your hearing is. With me, I can sometimes hear them way out of range. But I've hunted with guys who couldn't hear them if they were 10 yards out.

Hal

Glenn

It really depends on the terrain and your hearing. Here in Florida a bird could gobble 50 yards away from you and it might sound like he is 300 yards out.

Most of the time I will hear him Spitt'n he is preety close though.

Bow Only

My ears weren't made for hearing a hen cluck or cackle, but they were made for drumming gobblers. I've heard them farther than 150 yards (with witnesses) and frequently hear them at 100 yards. The call shy gobblers I often hunt won't gobble, but they'll drum like crazy.

Jody Hawk

Outdoor-Writer07 said:
So, is there any truth to that saying of when you hear him spit-n-drum, he's close enough to shoot???? :shoot:

Absolutely not !!!! I had one drumming on Cedar Creek WMA one morning and he was at least 70 yards away.