Cool hunt this morning..........

DaddyPaul

I went to a part of my lease down here that I haven't been to this year. Heard squat even though the place is torn up with sign.

Left there and went prospecting. Rounded a bend in a tram road and there was a strutter and some hens about 150 yards out. I watched them through my binos for a little while until they left the road. Turns out there were 3 longbeards and 4 hens, one of which had about a 6 or 7 inch beard as well.

I made a little hook move to get in front of them and started calling. They were gobblin' pretty good to a paddle call and then just shut down. I would cutt at them and nothing. I was perplexed to say the least as I knew they hadn't seen me cause they never got close enough to me.

I got up to leave and remembered a new call I had in my vest. It is a trumpet from Mike Battey (Wildtalker). I have only had it for a couple of weeks and admittedly am not very good with it..............yet. :D

Darrin Dawkins told me that if I wanted to get good on it I should leave everything else at home!:rofl: I am not that brave just yet.

Anyhow I pulled it out and started yelping.........BAAAAM, they all three gobbled from about 100 yards out. I sat down and called some more and they just gobbled their heads off. I probably called too much but I couldn't help myself as it was the first time I had run a trumpet on a turkey. The hens eventually pulled them away from me. ::gone:

I made about three loops and left 'em gobbling around 10:30 (work sucks). The hens would just take 'em the other way everytime I sat up on 'em. I can't tell you how many times they gobbled but it was a bunch. This might be what I needed to get my confidence up enough to run it some more in the woods.

Sorry I didn't kill anything but I thought the hunt was cool. Anytime I get to interact with some gobbling turkeys I am happy. Maybe I will get lucky and kill one soon........:huh:

Arrow3

Sounds like a great hunt even though you didn't pull the trigger!

Jasper

neckringer

sounds great.
I have a question. If you did not have to work what would you have done after not being able to call them up at the 2nd or 3rd setup?

DaddyPaul

sounds great.
I have a question. If you did not have to work what would you have done after not being able to call them up at the 2nd or 3rd setup?

Tried a 4th, 5th or 6th set up...................

I am not one of those who is against bushwhacking one if that is what you are fishing for ringer. I think 90% of the birds we kill are modified bushwhackings. I think occasionally we just get lucky and happen to call from where he already wanted to be?:fine:

There is plenty of time left and these birds aren't going anywhere........................Stay tuned.:flag:

Glenn

Haven't seen many post from you of late there DP?

In the past you would have already had your limit and would be taking other to the field for theirs. Are your birds still on your lease?

DaddyPaul

Glenn,
As you know I am a show off of sorts. I figured that this year instead of limiting out in my first two sits I would let some of y'all have the spotlight.:p

There are plenty of birds on my lease, too many in fact as they are starting to annoy me somewhat.:rolleyes:

I have a feeling that before the season is out I may just pull through with a couple longbeards though.:huh: ;)