Multibeard Toms

gobblinglawyer

I have killed a number of turkeys but until last year (2004) I hadn't killed a double bearded bird.

I was lucky enough to get 2 double bearded birds last year.

Double Beard #1: 10 1/4 inches and 7 1/2 inches (killed in Georgia)

Double Beard #2: 10 1/2 inches and 7 3/4 inches (killed in Kansas)

Nitro

Banned
I have been lucky enough to have killed quite a few. I have a mounted 5 bearded gobbler from Oglethorpe County.

Photo of a double beard from South Carolina I killed a couple years ago on the "turkey photo" thread. Our SC land has produced a bunch of multi bearded birds.

Last jake I ever killed, many years back - on Piedmont NWR had seven little beards........... Hated that so bad I swore I would never shoot another Jake. (and I haven't -Government bird or no). I could only think about what he would have been with another year...... :huh:

Killed a double bearded Merriam's in WA two years ago - that was a cool day. I hope that this year blesses me with another. Kind of a cool bonus.

dutchman

What causes it?

I've personally never killed a double bearded gobbler. My brother killed a nice one several years ago. Agarr's comment about the property he hunts on having several killed off of it gave me a thought:

What do you suppose causes double beards on gobblers?
Does the same "thing" cause bearded hens? I suppose with hens it may be hormones, but since the beard is acutally a type of midified feather (so I've read), maybe it's not hormones at all. Would genetics explain it? Could be, if the same piece of land produces lots of double beards or lots of bearded hens.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but just started wondering...

GAGE

GONetwork Member
My father in law killed a guestimated 3.5+ yr old Osceola a few years back although I do not know the exact measurments right off, he is a hoss!
That was his first and still remains his only turkey!

Gage

beginnersluck

I shot a Mr. 2 Beard last year in Franklin County. First one I ever saw. It had 3/4 inch spurs and both beards were roughly 5 1/8 inches. He was a nice, heavy bird too!

Arrow3

I have been lucky enough to kill several birds with multiple beards...I think about 6 or so...I have a gobbler mounted that has 4 that I killed in Wilkes County in 2003..I know several guys that have hunted for YEARS and have never killed one with multiple beards...Andy Nimmons (the guy who mounted my bird) says Im the luckiest turkey hunter he knows about killing birds with more then one beard :cool:

Jody Hawk

Believe this or not, but I know where some property is here in Walton County and nearly every bird that is killed off of it has multiple beards. Must be in the genes? :huh:

QuackAddict

I called one in for a buddy a few years ago in Jasper Co that had 4 beards. 13.5, 7.5, 7.5, and 6 inches. The bird weighed 25 lbs. and no spurs at all. Anyone else seen a multiple bearded turkey w/ no spurs?

gobblergitter

My first gobbler back in '95 had three beards( 10 1/2, 10 1/2, and 8 1/2). He weighed 22 lbs and had 1 3/4" spurs. I didn't do the calling.though. I did call one in for a buddy year before last that had 2 beards, though. One was almost 11" and the other was right at 8".

dutchman

Jody Hawk said:
Believe this or not, but I know where some property is here in Walton County and nearly every bird that is killed off of it has multiple beards. Must be in the genes? :huh:

It must be genetics. Interesting...

Jody Hawk

dutchman,
My buddy has killed at least five birds on this place and all of them had multiple beards. Last year he called me and he had killed two that morning and both of those had multiple beards. There have been several other multiple bearded toms taken off of this property by other hunters as well. It's got to be genetics. :huh: