#2 Down

straightshooter

After having to take most of last week and the weekend off due to business, I finally got after 'em again Monday morning. Went to some ground in Screven County where I have permission and have killed four birds in the past.

Started off in the swamp, and heard three birds gobbling. One was deep in the swamp and the other two were behind me in the direction of a large field.

I abandoned my setup and eased up to the edge of the field where I saw two gobblers standing right in the middle of it about 250 yards away.

I couldn't get a decoy out without getting busted and to work my way around them for a different setup would take quite a while.

I was on a small trail that lead out of the swamp, but there were no trees to set up on without doing a lot of pruning. So I backed off the field edge a few yards and sat down against a three inch sapling.

A run of notes on my Lamar Williams box prompted a gobble and one bird went to full strut. I could see them through the low brush with my binoculars. Both birds started to head my way. I called to them twice more to keep them interested. Each call was cut off by a gobble, so it was just a matter of time.

While they were coming the bird I had heard deep in the swamp was really gobbling and coming from my right. The two gobblers got there first, and this guy paid the price.

Since I had no decoy out, when they got in range, you could see their demeanor change as they got nervous. I shot this bird at 24 steps. He was 18 pounds with 1 inch spurs and a 9 1/2 inch beard. Man I love those whipped off two year old birds.

Shot him with my Gobbler Guns Winchester SuperX2, a .660Gobbler Guns Final Strut choke and Winchester Extended Range #5.

Another great day in the turkey woods...

Marty Fischer aka straightshooter

Last edited: