Eastern's or Osceola's?

mpdinnen

What would you rather hunt, Easterns or Ocseolas? I have been turkey hunting since I was 10 and Im 22 now. I have killed my fare share of birds with 19 being Osceolas. I just cant seem to figure the Easterns out. In central flroida we dont have a lot of open woods so the turkeys use the roads and the fields constantly. I just got back from hunting Mayhaw in SW GA, and I have only killed 1 bird up there in five trips that I have been over the past three years. It seems like they move roosting areas daily and there always gobbling in the middle of the woods. I did see a number of birds this trip on the edge of fields later in the day, but these birds that stay in the woods make me crazy. I chased one bird from 7 am to noon, in woods that I didnt even think a deer would walk through. Any body have any tips or ideas, or maybe a better WMA to try.
Thanks.... Mike

blindhog

I think the public birds will stay in the bottoms, so I try to position there if possible. This am I couldn't on the bird i chose, he was across the property line and my moves on him were limited. It was a good battle but I couldn't budge him after 2 hours and countless gobbles and double gobbles. I tried every trick except fighting purrs. There were at least 5 others gobbling...I should have moved on to another bird.....

hawglips

Banned
I prefer a bird to stay in the woods, whether he be eastern or osceola.

Michael Lee

Honestly, I like to hunt any kind of gobbling bird! If he ain't talking he's hard to kill.

Oh, species doesn't matter to me, I love em' all!

hootinga

id like to hunt rio my bro lives in TX and he said them bird gobble non stop. i guess b/c the wind does not stop blowin.

In my 25+ years of turkey hunting, I must say without doubt, the Florida osceola'a are by far the hardest to hunt! Unlike the easterns we hunt here in Jersey, the Osce's just don't talk much after flydown. And like many of you, I like to hunt a bird that talks back to me. my two cents...