Bearded Hens

waregle1

Can you shoot bearded hens in Ga? I think the answer is no but I did not see it in the regs. If you could would her meat be tougher? Just curious as my son saw one with about an 8 inch beard yesterday. He had a bead on her but pulled back when he saw it was a hen. :banginghe

Oh well there will be a gobbler out there soon. Any info is appreciated.

Kim Youngblood
(aka waregle1)

Randy

No. Only gobblers are allowed in Georgia!

ABAC33

no, they are not legal as i have already ask this question before. but i was told that there beards are usually short, 3-5 inches. an 8 incher sounds to be pretty long for a hen, but i guess anything is possible.

LOVEMYLABXS

:cool: My understanding of the law up here reads "Only turkeys with visable beard" so she counts

Last edited:

neckringer

yes some states it is legal like florida reads "bearded turkey"

however georgia it says gobblers

alphachief

yes some states it is legal like florida reads "bearded turkey"

however georgia it says gobblers

Is that why you guys are all going to the shotgun scopes...so you can see his little "pee-pee" just to make sure...::ke:

Nugefan

Is that why you guys are all going to the shotgun scopes...so you can see his little "pee-pee" just to make sure...::ke:

you ain't right .....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :cool:

hootinga

bearded hen are legal to shoot im 85 % sure of it but ask a game waden. id shoot one once if i had the chance but wouldnt do it no more after that.

Jim Ammons

Bearded hens are NOT legal in GA. Got this information a few years back from a DNR Ranger and I have seen no changes in the regulations to change this.

Last edited:

Randy

bearded hen are legal to shoot im 85 % sure of it but ask a game waden. id shoot one once if i had the chance but wouldnt do it no more after that.

Sorry you are 85% wrong. Hens beard or no beard are not legal in Georgia!

hootinga

i have to look into it b/c ive grown up with people tellin me there legal. so ill have to see if im 85% right

turky93

yup hes right,it must be a gobbler. now if you get a hen to gobble....... lol but i dont think you will

Randy

i have to look into it b/c ive grown up with people tellin me there legal. so ill have to see if im 85% right

That might be the smartest thing you have ever done and the smartest lesson you have ever learned. I use to believe what people told me too. Now I always check it out.

neckringer

actually on ocassion hens do gobble and strutt for that matter. just check out the new primos truth 18.
however she still aint a gobbler

Arrow Flinger

This is taken from the regs:

Turkey
Statewide: March 24, 2007 - May 15, 2007
Limit: 3 gobblers per season

turk2di

In Ky, visable beards. So a hen is legal but i have only heard of a few over 17yrs of huntin turks being killed!

Gator8em

They are not legal, Fo Sho. I have seen 3 in my life, two in the last two years. I only wish I could take out my frustrations :shoot: on those little huzzies for all the times they have done me wrong.

weathermantrey

I'm not too sure how much that rule would hold up in court if you were prosecuted. If you have a turkey pop over a hill with an 8 inch beard hanging down at the crack of daylight I dont see how anybody could be held responsible for identifying that turkey as a hen. What are you suppose to look for as a turkey hunter that tells you otherwise. Should i bring my binoculars and look for spurs?

I feel like telling the difference between a nuben buck and a doe is much easier than telling the difference between a bearded hen and a jake/gobbler. So why go with anterless deer tags but not bearded turkey tags instead of gobblers???? If you ask me, this rule should be changed. :huh: