oaky woods surprise

rustvyper

Hunted oaky woods this morning. Rained a good bit but finally cleared off.
Never heard a gobble, but around 10 I had a hen & a jake come in to my calling. I got 'em around 15 yards but decided not to pull the trigger on the jake. He twernt worth the effort as I believe he musta been the runt of the bunch. Leave him for next season when he grows a bit (if he makes it that long on a WMA!)
But that's not the fun part. The hen finally thought something didn't feel right & went the other way with the jake in tow. I started to get up & that's when I heard him...5 foot diamond back rattler laying 3 feet to my left. He wasn't coiled yet but he was shaking his tail good! Can you say pucker factor 5 captain!?! Well I backed off purty slow & then skedadled off to my truck. Thanked the Lord Jesus many times b/c I was waaaaaay out there!
Decided to call it a day after that. My rule is that if hunting ceases to be fun, quit. After getting soaked then peeing myself in fright I decided I had enough!

padula54321

Let the Jake and the Rattler go?????

I hope it all comes back double fold to ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timbo 66

A GUY AT MY CLUB CALLED ME THIS EVENING AND SAID HE SHOT A 5' RATTLER AT HIS BOOTS. WAY TO CLOSE FOR COMFORT.

Arrow3

The jake would have lived but the rattler wouldn't have...

rustvyper

Guess it's the hippy in me, but I don't like killing things unless I have to. Since I was on his turf way out in the middle of no-where I figured he had a right to live.

hawglips

Banned
decided not to pull the trigger on the jake. He twernt worth the effort as I believe he musta been the runt of the bunch. Leave him for next season when he grows a bit (if he makes it that long on a WMA!)

He's got a 50/50 chance to live to be a 2 year old.