Locating a tom late at night??????

ALLBEEF

Can it be done? I mean will a tom sound off at say midnight? If so - how have you done it? What have you used to make one at night?

The reason I am asking is - I live so far away from my club - it is hard to get there before dark on the evening before my hunt - so I was thinking about trying to locate some birds at night before the next mornings hunt.

Thanks
BEEF

TurkeyManiac

:) Thanks man! I needed a good laugh!
That was great!
I am taking that one to camp with me this weekend!

TurkeyManiac

You know. They probably do gobble on occasion at night but could you imagine being out there on a ridge at 2am blowing a owl call listening for a Gobbler?! Dont let your boys know you are doing it. You will NEVER live it down!

mkg 1023

I heard one gobble last year untill 9:30 or so @ night. It was around the full moon, bout like it is now the moon was coming up. That was his last gobbling night, he didn't see the sun set the next day:bounce:

ALLBEEF

I guess it might have to be my secret - I can just locate bird after bird - they will wander how I know where to go every morning and continually get on birds.

TurkeyManiac

You can't be.

I'll take you snipe hunting this fall. I have a whistle and a bag!

If you are serious then I dont mean to give you such a hard time. Turkeys are always in the same general area year to year based on what time of season it is. Just because they do not gobble does not mean they are not there. Locating is over rated in my opinion. Think of it like fishing. You dont need to be looking at the fish to catch him. You just know that chances are he is on the shady side of the fallen tree top.
Anyways, I ment no disrespect. If you ever get one to gobble in the dead of night please let me know.

hambone44

I heard one gobble last year untill 9:30 or so @ night. It was around the full moon, bout like it is now the moon was coming up. That was his last gobbling night, he didn't see the sun set the next day:bounce:

:yeah: ..that sounds like make believe to me now, but it IS coming from an expert so...

Killdee

I rarely ever try to roost toms,I usually just get up in the AM and go.1 time at band camp,uh I mean turkey camp on a new property we heard one when we slammed the door about 11pm,we owled and kept him going for a few min.Billy and Jim went after him in the AM and sure enought he was setting the woods on fire.Turned out to be a domestic tom at a shack over on the property line.

bull0ne

Banned
I have read where some folks would stop along the way on the road into camp and owl hoot to locate gobblers at 11PM to midnight.............I think it was Eddie Salter who did that?

Never tried it myself though.................

GA DAWG

This would be a good weekend to try it! Bright moon out last night while coon hunting.Didnt hear none gobbling last night.

They do and you can get them to gobble! An air horn works, thunder storms get them going, and a blast from your shot gun will do the trick!

Killdee

blast from your shot gun will do the trick!

Yeah as you blast them off the limb!!!!