Momma warned me about days like this...

Handgunner

Got in the blind at 3:15.. Nothing else better to do, no hunting for me until saturday, so why not?

I've got my decoy's out, enjoying the cool weather, breezy... good day, for the most part, to be in the woods.

At 5:15, I have seen nothing, and heard nothing... when all of a sudden, I see a hen and a jake running from my right to left, HAULING IT!

Wait, that's my DECOY'S!

Did I mention the wind was blowing????? :rofl:

So, I now have a decision to make. Walk right out into this huge field and hope I'm not spotted, or sit tight for another 3 hours and hope that a gobbler, should one appear, don't spook at the site of two turkeys laying on their side and flopping around like two fish out of the water????

I leave the blind and re-position my decoy's.

Back in the blind, and ready for action.. No turkey's seen, so maybe I'm safe.

Fast Foward to 7'ish. Wind has laid somewhat, it's just this side of gail force, and the woods settle.

It's on.

Not long after that, I hear scratching in the leaves, purring and clucking.

They're coming!

Closer............. CUTT CUTT CUTT FLOP FLOP YELP YELP

All (a very HOT PLACE) breaks loose and I turn to see a coyote busting my turkeys up! They all hit the trees and he walks off hungry!

I make a point right then to ruin an already ruined hunt, should he give me a shot.

He walks off.... and I begin putting my calls up... The hunt is over.

As I'm doing this, I hear "FLUMP!!!" and turn to see him busting my decoy's apart! :rofl:

Son of a......... I grab my gun and off into the woods he goes.

I remove my glove, and start squeaking on the back of my hands for a few minutes. He doesn't appear.

A'ight, I've had enough, but I gotta go, I'm about to bust...

Grab the gatorabe bottle and mid-stream, there he is AGAIN coming down the hill towards me! :banginghe

I finish up right quick, and grab the 870...

At 60 yards, the 'yote catches my wind.. He's looking square at me as I shoulder the gun... he takes off at a raking angle away from me...

I lead.... flip the safety off....

And let the big dog bark! :shoot:

Hit right behind him.

He started in 2nd gear, when he left the field he was catchin' 5th! :fine:

So, a $7 shell wasted... But I was impressed with the crater the Nitro left in the field! :rofl: :rofl: Another 2 foot or so lead and he'd caught it all...

So, I pack it up and head on in...

Not all is lost though, I was able to witness one more of these... :)

sset.jpg

dutchman

Did you get a nap in at all?:D

Pretty sunset.

Latest posts