Opinions Needed Please---!

hambone44

I have been doing a good bit of afternoon hunting this year, and have another buddy who has too, because we both have to be at work most mornings like a lot of folks which doesn't allow for time to morning hunt.

The morning AND afternoon birds are mighty tough where I hunt because they are on a rather small property with a good bit of pressure and "education".

My buddy killed a very nice bird Wed. afternoon which came in silent to the gun all the way.

When I showed the pics to another guy I know, he downplayed my friend's kill and stated it was a shame to kill that bird in the afternoon, and turkey hunting is meant for mornings only. This guy has access to a 2800 acre plantation with almost NO hunting pressure on turkeys for years...and can also go any morning he wants because his work is lax on it.

I told him I don't think that is a correct assessment for him to say this based on the fact, too, that he hasn't been hunting for many years at all, and that this just wasn't true,
and some folks cannot go in the mornings and therefore enjoy going when they can, and I also stated that I have not heard a gobble the last 3 mornings and on NO afternoon that I have been have I heard a single gobble. For this reason, it seems more of a challenge, at least where I hunt, to hunt them in the pm, and therefore, should not be considered immoral or unethical or a shame.:confused:

My question is, what are opinions concerning afternoon hunting being wrong if it is perfectly legal and even more of a challenge, generally, than morning hunting? Do you think it is unethical and/or a shame to hunt in the afternoons, especially if that is the only time you can go during the weekdays? :huh:

bull0ne

Banned
I have been doing a good bit of afternoon hunting this year, and have another buddy who has too, because we both have to be at work most mornings like a lot of folks which doesn't allow for time to morning hunt.

The morning AND afternoon birds are mighty tough where I hunt because they are on a rather small property with a good bit of pressure and "education".

My buddy killed a very nice bird Wed. afternoon which came in silent to the gun all the way.

When I showed the pics to another guy I know, he downplayed my friend's kill and stated it was a shame to kill that bird in the afternoon, and turkey hunting is meant for mornings only. This guy has access to a 2800 acre plantation with almost NO hunting pressure on turkeys for years...and can also go any morning he wants because his work is lax on it.

I told him I don't think that is a correct assessment for him to say this based on the fact, too, that he hasn't been hunting for many years at all, and that this just wasn't true,
and some folks cannot go in the mornings and therefore enjoy going when they can, and I also stated that I have not heard a gobble the last 3 mornings and on NO afternoon that I have been have I heard a single gobble. For this reason, it seems more of a challenge, at least where I hunt, to hunt them in the pm, and therefore, should not be considered immoral or unethical or a shame.:confused:

My question is, what are opinions concerning afternoon hunting being wrong if it is perfectly legal and even more of a challenge, generally, than morning hunting? Do you think it is unethical and/or a shame to hunt in the afternoons, especially if that is the only time you can go during the weekdays? :huh:

There will always be someone who thinks their way is the only way.:rolleyes:

If it's legal shooting hours and the bird is on the ground he's fair game in my book.

If anything..........an afternoon/non-gobbling bird takes more patience to kill than an early morning blabbermouth Tom.

If you want to afternoon hunt go right ahead. The previous post made a good point - some people are set in their ways and can't believe that other people do things differently. I have to admit that I fall into that category sometime as well. My wife will put ketchup on a good steak filet - I don't care what anyone thinks - that is wrong.

DaddyPaul

bone,
I hunts 'em when I can and offer no apologies to anyone. Way easier to kill a bird in the AM when he is gobblin' his head off than when they sneak up on you in the afternoon all silent like!

Before long the season will be over and we will beg for just one more sit. I get in every hunt I can, morning or afternoon.

hambone44

If you want to afternoon hunt go right ahead. The previous post made a good point - some people are set in their ways and can't believe that other people do things differently. I have to admit that I fall into that category sometime as well. My wife will put ketchup on a good steak filet - I don't care what anyone thinks - that is wrong.

yeah, not only that...I been hunting turkeys ~30 years with a few little breaks in between, and this fellow has been hunting about 4 or 5 years seriously, and is telling me it is wrong and a "shame" to hunt afternoon birds? :huh: I just don't get it.

heck if i had 2800 acres of private unpressured property, :shoot: and could go any morn til noon, maybe I wouldn't go in the pm's, but I hunt when I can , I do enjoy the challenge of the pm birds, too.

Parker Phoenix

Do not let an elitest attitude keep you from hunting in the afternoon. It is perfecly legal and ethics is not an issue. Just another example of the cannable attitude some hunters have if some one doesn't hunt the way they do.

deersled

Anybody can hunt in the mornings when they are gobblin' their heads off. You may not kill one, but most people will stay after em. It takes alot of patience and dedication to set up in the pm not knowing exactly where they are. It's kind of like fair weather golfing...the real die-hards will golf regardless of weather.....the die-hard turkey guys will hunt whenever possible, not just when they are gobblin'. The guys that continue to go when the gobbling is over, are the one's that truly love the sport. If it's legal....go for it!

blindhog

I killed a nice big gobbler at 4:30 pm last year. Worked him that morning for 2 hrs but no go. Went back to his "zone" and slipped in quiet and clucked him to me in 10 minutes.