Hen gobbling???

beginnersluck

Has anybody ever seen a hen gobble, or try to gobble? I saw one on a hunting show the other day...sounded like a Jake trying to gobble for the first time. I thought this was cool and would like to see it in the wild...along with a "buck roar."

Gut_Pile

Never have heard a hen try to gobble but I did experience a buck roar last deer season

huntininmilan

hens can gobble and they can have beards....have one in my pen and she mimics the gobbler all the time....it's all pretty cool but i have also seen several hens on my hunting excursions with beards and had a buddy kill one in florida that was gobbling when he shot her!

beginnersluck

The past 2 years we have had a hen that comes around our house with a long thin beard. I'd be willing to say that it has at least 7" beard. Haven't seen it around this year, but we have been hearing more and more coyotes...hope this isn't cause and effect. I've seen several bearded hens while hunting, and have even seen a double bearded hen.

d_white

Banned
2nd day of season Danny and I heard some sick sounding gobblin. He told me it must be a person doing that. It got closer and we heard a hen too. We thought she was bringing us a jake or gobbler with her but when she stepped into the clear cut we could see her cut, yelp, then get so excited and let out a wierd gobble. She did it about 12 times.

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
I spoke to the Game Bioligist here in Monroe County about this just a few weeks before the season started. He said that tame turkeys will do this when there are only one or two hens with a bunch of gobblers. This he said leads him to believe that the turkey talk is a learned behavior. Gobblers will yelp and hens will gobble. You have to be careful now days. It would be hard to explain why you had a hen with a beard that was gobbling when she is dead. Nature will amaze you more and more the more you spend with it. Tim