Anyone ever fish Stone Mountain Lake?

Mossy0ak270

I live about 10 minutes from there and me and my brother have caught alot of bass from there. We have also caught HUGE bluegill and shellcrackers out of there. Anyone else fish this sleeper lake?

Schulze

I have fished it from the bank. MOSTER bluegill. WOULD NEVER eat anything from that place though. wish they did not have the motor restriction on the lake. not for power but so I could take my boat there

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
It is a pretty good crappie lake.

The state will not allow swimmers at times after a heavy rain due to the runoff carrying seepage from septic tanks into the lake.

Therefore I always give the fish i catch to my friends! :rofl:

(Not really. I just catch and release.)

Mossy0ak270

Hey Schulze, you can put your boat in there even if it has a motor bigger than 10hp. ofcourse you just cant run it

Schulze

thanks. May have to try it. my boat is bout as big as the paddle wheel boat

Mossy0ak270

Oh yeah, you should see my "small lake" boat. Its a 76 Venture bass boat with a 9.9 motor. Crazy lookin but it works! The transom is not good enough to be used for a big motor anymore, so I put that little thing on it. It sure beats a jonboat.

Randall

I fish it

I fish the lake pretty often. There are tournaments there with jonboat clubs pretty often when it is open all day. Its a good winter lake for jig fishing around the rocks and brush. On the deeper end you can catch alot of bass on jiging spoons this time of year.

Jasper

I'd like to take my boys there, but don't have a boat. Are there any good places to catch some crappie and bream from the bank?

Thanks!

Randall

Fish along the dam area.Under the bridges also.

I have caught some nice fish right on the bank around the dam. Just be careful because it drops down to twenty feet real quick right off the bank. A lot of bank fishermen also fish under the bridges that cross the lake. They will give you a map when you enter the park that will show the bridges and the dam.

Schulze

Jasper you know the bell tower? the walk way is a rock wall. Take a tube of crickets and an ultralight your kids will have a BALL.

nevamiss270

GONetwork Member
I have caught some MONSTER bream outta that lake

Jasper

Thanks for the info guys. When it warms up a little, I'll get my boys there.

How about crappie? That's what they really like to catch. Can you fish with minnows there?

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
So you can put in your own boat with trolling motor? I thought you had to rent from the park. I may be confusing this with the rules at Callaway Gardens though.

Randall

Stn. Mtn rules for boats

I am not sure of exact dates ,but I believe its from May or June through labor day all private boats have to be off the water by 11am. The rest of the year private boats can fish during the day but not at night. If you rent one of their boats i believe you can stay out all day when the other boats would have to leave at 11am.

mpowell

my father grew up in avondale estates and my grandfather worked at stone mountain on the railroad after he retired. just wanted something to do.

they used to fish it all the time and had outstanding success for panfish. they never did much bass fishing. of course, all this was years ago. my grandfather's passed away and dad hasn't fished it in quite awhile.