Help me out guys.....

Outdoor-Writer07

Alright here's my situation.... I have been turkey hunting every year since my dad introduced me to the sport when I was 14. I am now about to turn 21 and turkey hunting and anything related to the wild turkey is what I am all about. Well, I have a friend that I hunt with periodically during both deer and turkey season. I have never been successful while going hunting with this fellow. It's seems like I just can't excel to my best abilities when I go hunting with this guy. I don't know what it is, but I always hate it when I "have to go" with him. This guy is a really good friend of mine, but I am just not comfortable hunting with him. It's not a safety issue or anything like that, I guess it's just different. This guy has been on my lease before and that's what I meant by "have to go" with him. I didn't want to look like I was trying to avoid going hunting with him, so I went on. He and I have had several turkey hunts together, but he always seems to get mad at me. It's either I didn't make the right decision on the perfect setup, I called to much, I didn't call enough, or I moved into close and bumped the bird. It's always me and never his inexperience in the first place. It seems like he forgets that I am taking time out of trying to kill myself a turkey to call one up for a good friend. He always boast that he's the best turkey hunter and will out hunt and out call me anyday. He's already tried to make a beat with me that he will kill more birds than me this year. I just shook my head and said whatever and soon after that I went home. I am in no way an exprienced turkey hunter, but I do know a little bit. No, I might not have called all of the birds that I have killed in, but I have called in some of them and my dad called has called in the rest. None of them have been AMBUSHED! This guy has killed two and ambushed both of them, no calls were used. Now, tell me is that considered calling a turkey up and shooting it right after watching it strut in that last 50 yds. I don't think so!!! Now, I have several other friends that I can go with and feel just as comfortable hunting with as I ever have. It's just this one fellow, I feel like if I go hunting with him I might as well write that hunt off as a loss. Tell me what to do guys, I am at a loss for what to do. This guy is a good friend and I don't wanna lose his friendship, but it wouldn't bother me if we didn't share anymore hunts together either. What do I do??? :huh:

Last edited:

mike bell

Thats a tuff one. :banginghe Next time he complains, ask him if he can do better. If not then shut up. Straight up and tell him your trying and he aint helping you out.

:hammers: Or, dont go hunting with him.

jeffh1971

How often do you have to hunt with this guy? If its only a few times a season, why not chalk it up and just go hunt with him and enjoy a day afield with your friend? When you have the chance to reflect and look back on things, if this guy is really your friend then it will probably be worth the sacrifice of not killing a bird just to enjoy a hunt with a buddy. Hopefully, you will have many other days during the season to hunt by yourself.

At any rate, if you have a problem with the way this guy is handling himself in regard to his hunting practices, you need to talk to him and explain to him your issues. Otherwise, these problems will only seem to get worse and ultimately your friendship will suffer.

I have had a similar experience to yours in the past where a buddy of mine was always thinking of himself whether it was turkey hunting or fishing or whatever. This guy always wanted to fish the best holes first, he always wanted to be the shooter on turkey setups, etc. I finally realized that this guy wasn't really a good friend and it wasn't just because of hunting and fishing issues. Just because we had spent a lot of time together in the past didn't make him a great friend. After I realized this I quit hanging out with the guy. Hopefully this doesn't describe your situation.

Sometimes, even with good friends, you have to keep it real and talk to these people about your issues. Heck, he may even have issues with you.

Bottom line, if he's a good friend, work it out so that you two can still share some fun hunts. Its not worth the loss of a good friend. Just my two cents.

Carp

Tell him the truth. It may hurt, but if he is a true friend he will listen and maybe change some of his ways. If he gets mad and goes into denial and goes stomping off maybe he wasn't the friend you thought. Either way your problem would be solved. Life's too short, enjoy your time in the turkey woods.

deersled

good friends don't always make good hunting partners. also, good hunting partners don't always make good friends. It's the same way with fishing. I am very particular about who I fish and hunt with. I hunt with alot of guys , but when hunting season is over, I hardly see them. The best thing to do IMO is to be honest. You can still hunt with the guy, but you don't have to hunt the same bird with him. Split up and agree to meet after the hunt to discuss what you found. You may find that one of you is consistantly more successful. That in itself may clear things up for both of you.

Outdoor-Writer07

Thanks for the advice...

I really appreciate the advice guys. After being a member here since around march of 2002, I am really seeing the true meaning of this place finally. A good place to hang out with fellow hunting buddys and share advice. I will apply the advice I was giving by you guys and see if it helps. D2D, it's not shooting a turkey I am worried about. It's just I wanna have a good time when I go out turkey hunting and if I don't call the bird up I don't want someone getting mad. There's always tommorrow and if you try hard enough you will get him. I proved that last year with the turkey I killed the last week of season. Anyways, thanks guys for your much needed advice. :clap: