Longbow or Recurve?

DaddyPaul

Just curious as to how y'all decided on what you shoot or which you like the best. I finally broke down and ordered a Bear Montana Longbow the other day. Hope to get proficient enough with it to maybe hunt some this fall using it.

Al33 was kind enough last year to loan me a longbow just to see how I liked 'em. I don't know why but it just felt better in my hands than the recurves I have shot? That is why I decided on the LB.

Y'all ready for a steady stream of questions?:rofl:

frankwright

My introduction to traditional bows was to find an old recurve under the bed of a woman we were helping to move. I shot it for a few years and even hunted with it but when I saw my first longbow it was love at first sight.

I can't explain it. I know recurves and hybrid longbows are faster and maybe even more accurate at longer distance but I love the look and feel of a Howard Hill style longbow in my hand.
I admire the beauty of many of the recurves out there today and the thick risers allow for the use of many beautiful woods, but give me the plain straight gripped longbow any day.

It feels light an 8 weight fly rod in my hand and when it sends a shaft completely through a game animal it is near ecstasy.
It really comes down to what you like and what trips your trigger!
Just have fun!

yup longbow just feels right in the hand, have shot and owned compounds/recurves. but longbow is my favorite of all. There is just more of a connection and from what i hear more of a thrill to take down game with such a primitive weapon.

choctawlb

Re: Longbow

I've shot both longbows and recurves, and to me a longbow is more forgiving than a recurve. Plus it just feels more natural in the hand , and easier to shoot. Also a longbow makes a transition to selfbows more natural.
Ken

Al33

Looks like Frank, Mwalker, and Ken have pretty much covered my reasons for preferring the longbow.

I think by far, in the recent past at least, most longbow shooters started out learning to shoot with a re-curve then naturally migrated to the longbow. Please note I did not say "progressed to the longbow".;) With the new designs in reflex/deflex limbs, register grips versus straight, and other design factors the term longbow is often used liberally. Hybrid bows might be a better term to describe what are often referred to as longbows, but no matter what you call them, they are nice to shoot and incorporate both re-curve and longbow features.

DP, I think the Montana is not just a great bow to get started with it, but one you will enjoy hunting with and may never want part with. You will likely one day add another bow or two to your collection but I think this one will serve your purposes well.

Looking forward to seeing the new bow in your hands and reading about your efforts with it.

WildmanSC

Primarily Recurve

I've owned a few recurves, 30 or so over the past 7 years, and a few longbows, 25 or so over the same time period. At present I have one T/D recurve and have a longbow on order. It will be the first "Hill type" longbow I will have owned. It does have a slight locator grip on it.

I shot one at the Archery Shop a week ago Saturday that the bowyer delivered to a customer. Alan let me shoot his bow and it shot right where I was looking. I turned to Bob, the bowyer, and said make me one and how much do I owe you? When he said "$250" I took $250 out of my wallet and handed it to him. He told me it would be 3 weeks because he had materials on order.

The bow has a riser made of bamboo flooring and the limbs are made of bamboo flooring, too. The riser was stained Mahogany and the limbs had brown glass on both sides. The bow was dead in the hand, very quiet without silencing material on the string and shock free. I ordered mine at 47#@28" and asked Bob to make it look just like Alan's bow. The longbows Bob builds are 66" long.

Bill

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
I have a couple of each and love shooting both. I think I do better with a recurve, but really love my longbows. Of course I have my good and bad days with both. When I'm shoot'n like crap with my lonbow, I'll dig out my ole 1966 Bear Grizzly and drill'em in there, then I have days where I just can't miss with my Martin mountainer.
I would however, love to build a self bow one of these days.
To answer your question, I can't, I like all my bows ;)
Jerald

ky_longbow

i own both- BUT i love the longbow- the graceful lines the feel of the riser in the hand,the quiet thump up on release--
for me the recurve is more accurate,a tad faster and more compact-

As I have only a limited amount of experience with trad gear I fear I will be in the same boat.:rolleyes:

I am banking on me being a "natural".:cool:

I have shot longbows as far back as i can remember, And it is something that just feels natural, really dont even have to aim just kinda go by feel and quick sight:D

FVR

I prefer 60" long flatbows that I make. Yeh production recurves are a bit faster and longbows are a bit more forgiving, but they cost money.

Stick shooter here.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I love the looks of a recurve, but I also love the forgiveness of a longbow.

JSOG

I,m into a shorter bow, but i used a 21st Century longbow for years before I was handed my curent bow.
Some reason...a feller has a bow custom made foer ya, ya sorta HAVE to bond with it.:cool:

Thanks Coony. For EVERYTHIN!

robert carter

I shoot a half dozen bows a year longbows and recurves. I f I get one and it don`t shoot where I`m looking in just a couple of shots its a goner.I got a new Bob Lee hunter recurve my wife bought me that made meat the first shot in the woods so it will be the one for this year so far. Kinda funny , she bought me my first new recurve 20 years ago and I still have it , an old Jeffery .I can put it up for a year and it will shoot where I`m looking first shot when I do pick it up.
I like longbows and have made a few. I often shoot a 45 lb`er that a friend of mine made. It`s 66" long and shoots good.I killed four critters last month all with different bows.Most of them if you tune`em right they`ll shoot the same. But to answer your question when it`s serious killing time the recurve rules.RC

WildmanSC

Hybrid Longbow

I recently purchased a Fox Royal Crown hybrid longbow. It is 62" and 50#@28". It is a very smooth, very quiet and consistently accurate shooting bow. When I do my part, I get scary tight groups. Put it this way, I will not be shooting groups with broadheads with this bow! It will be going into the woods with me this year.

I sold my T/D recurve and all sets of ILF limbs I had for it. I traded one set towards another longbow which I should receive in about 3 and a half months. :bounce:

Bill

HossBog

As one who is very late to the bow party, I'm glad this thread is still open! I've only shot friend's bows, both compound and recurve, a few times, but I just cain't get to liking compounds. I have done pretty good shooting, but need MUCH practice when I finally do get a bow. I'm currently looking at Bear Grizzly, and a Lofton longbow I found on craigslist. All I know is what I've read. I know nothing! But, to me that's exciting! I'm a clean slate to write my bow experiences on. We shall see... Cain't wait!

Oh, I just checked, that Lofton is what's called a reflex deflex? That's what ad says. He also has a Bear Kodiak, '70s era, either one for $195. Hmmmm.

Last edited:

Munkywrench

The reflex deflex is what others have called a hybrid. It's a like a longbow with a partial recurve. I got my recurve from my father and that's what I have to shoot, never shot a longbow but others have told me they have more handshock but they are quieter. Either bow will become deadly accurate with practice. Lots and lots of practice and a good tuning. Welcome to the addiction and good luck!

Al33

As one who is very late to the bow party, I'm glad this thread is still open! I've only shot friend's bows, both compound and recurve, a few times, but I just cain't get to liking compounds. I have done pretty good shooting, but need MUCH practice when I finally do get a bow. I'm currently looking at Bear Grizzly, and a Lofton longbow I found on craigslist. All I know is what I've read. I know nothing! But, to me that's exciting! I'm a clean slate to write my bow experiences on. We shall see... Cain't wait!

Oh, I just checked, that Lofton is what's called a reflex deflex? That's what ad says. He also has a Bear Kodiak, '70s era, either one for $195. Hmmmm.

My first longbow was a 65# Lofton Choctaw Hunter. Bobby was a heck of a bowyer. Mine was Osage riser with bamboo limbs. I passed it on to a very dear friend who is hunting with it now. Good luck with whatever you decide on!!

I shoot a longbow because that's all I have. I shot a recurve for a few years before I bought my Zipper and I shot them about the same. I do like longbows a bit more for some reason though...