What is it?

slightly grayling

I got this longbow in a group of several items I bought a while back. It is obviously unused, 61 ¾” long, and from the etching on the handle it is 58#. I am not a bow hunter, but I am curious as to what it is. It doesn’t appear to be a blank, but it also doesn’t appear to be complete (or do you shoot bows like this without an arrow rest?). Is there anyone out there who can enlighten me?
Thanks,
SG

Attachments

• IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0512.JPG
    IMG_0512.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 174

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
looks like a nice flat bow to me, sure they shoot them with out a rest on them. some people will put a leather grip with a rest made to the grip on them also. nice looking bow

Bowyer29

Flat Bow

Looks like one of some sort. I once had an old Ben Pearson that looked just like that. Should be able to shoot it, if you wanted too. Just go really slow stringing and drawing it, listen for cracking.

choctawlb

Looks like a flatbow, that needs a leather wrap handle put on it. It should shoot fine without a arrow rest as I shoot my Osage flatbow right off the side of the handle, no rest. String it, check the tiller, and draw it a little at a time ,listening for any cracking noises.
Ken

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
That's no good, just send it to me and I'll take that ole thing off your hands so you ain't got fret over it being in your way no more ;) ;)

On first impression, I thought was a lemonwood flat bow, but the more I look at the grain, it could be osage, I'm not sure though.
Nice looking bow, that's fer sure !
If you wanted to get rid of it, I'm sure you could.
How come I never fall into stuff like that :(
Jerald

slightly grayling

I do a fair amount of woodworking, but know nothing about lemon or ossage.......the handle looks kinda like maple (very clear and exterrmly fine grained) , but I really have no idea about the limbs. Thanks for the information. When/if i can determine what it is it will likely end up on the swap board.
-SG

Al33

Good looking bow no matter what it's made of. I don't think it is Osage because it is so straight and neither does the grain look like Osage to me, but of course, I could be dead wrong. Maybe it is an Osage laminate.:huh: If I owned it the first thing I would do is put a leather wrap on the handle with a rest.

One good thing about the bow is that either a lefty or righty can shoot it.

I wouldn't think it was a production bow because of it's unusual length, therefore I think it is more of a home made bow. If you get a string for it it will likely have to be custom made.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
If you plan on putting it on the swap board, please post it here first.
Thanks,
Jerald

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
yeah post it here first .....LOL.....so we can fight over it....LOL

Al33

Folks, I wanted to tell him to do the same thing, but our rules prevent posting anything for sale anywhere but the S&S forum with the exception of hunting dogs. Even posting a notice he is going to put it in the S&S is considered double posting and not allowed. I had to remove one of my own posts from here because of the rule and one of reviveourhomes.

Thanks for your understanding in this regard.

BTW, nothing prevents anyone from sending him a PM requesting he let them know via PM that he is going to put it up.;)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Might be possible that those limbs are white ash. If it`s unvarnished, give it a coat or two of boiled linseed oil, and shoot it.

slightly grayling

For sale, one hunting dog....possibly a mutt, looks just like a flat longbow.......:rofl: .
Folks, I wanted to tell him to do the same thing, but our rules prevent posting anything for sale anywhere but the S&S forum with the exception of hunting dogs. Even posting a notice he is going to put it in the S&S is considered double posting and not allowed. I had to remove one of my own posts from here because of the rule and one of reviveourhomes.

Thanks for your understanding in this regard.

BTW, nothing prevents anyone from sending him a PM requesting he let them know via PM that he is going to put it up.;)

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
I believe the entire bow is made of Lemonwood. The riser has a different grain configuration but is the same color as the remainder of the bow.

Al33

I believe the entire bow is made of Lemonwood. The riser has a different grain configuration but is the same color as the remainder of the bow.

I'll wager you are correct Mr Vernon.

slightly grayling, I sent you a PM about that mutt.:D

slightly grayling

Thanks Al, That sounds like a great idea! I know I won't be using it and would rather someone who can appreciate it get some use out of it. -SG