3-D Shoot Saturday

WildmanSC

I shot my best 3-D score ever Saturdayday with my new Fox Royal Crown longbow. The amazing part is I had the potential to post a really good score. I scored 122 through the first 15 targets. I shot a total score of 177, That means I only scored 55 on the last 15 targets. I either got tired, lost concentration and/or the targets on the back half of the range were set up a good bit more difficult.

Bill

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
I have never been to a 3 D Shoot, I have shot other things, but never a 3 D shoot, oh wait, yes I have, but it was an
18th century Event , I think I won that one. But it was'nt a "REAL" 3 D Shoot, scores, prizes, etc. Can't wait till I get back up to the Atlanta area and attend one.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
i have never shot for score (don't know why) but that new bow looks good bill

john

WildmanSC

Al/John,

Thanks! Yes, the bow fits me real well. My best previous score was with the DAS Hunter I sold and it had an elevated rest with plunger, a sight and I shot with a release instead of fingers like I did on Saturday!

Bill

choctawlb

If you shoot purely instinctive, it's hard to keep that kind of concentration going for a whole shoot. Instinctive shooting is great for hunting, stump shooting , ect. , but requires a lot of concentration when shooting targets. Back when I shot 3-D a lot, I would do great the first 2/3 to 3/4 through the shoot, and then go down hill if I wasn't careful. A lot of folks went to shooting 3 under, and even string walking, to be more consistent, but I have always shot instinctive, and I ain't planning on changing that to get better at punching paper or targets. Also as you get tired you tend to get a little sloppy on your form, if you don't mentally stay on it.
Ken

WildmanSC

3-Under? Yeah!!!

Ken,

I shoot 3-Under and I'm attempting to learn a gap method for hunting and for 3-D. I use 3-D shoots and target practice at the Archery Shop to prepare me for hunting. I've found 3-Under to be very effective and more natural, for me.

Yes, I have no doubt getting tired was a factor. I think, too, the setup of the second half of the course was a factor, as well. The first 6 targets on the last 15 were out in the open in a field. I find it difficult to judge range in an open field. The next target was wide open except for the last 8 to 10 yards which was in effect a tunnel of trees on the sides with over story hanging from above and the dark target was in dark shadows. The remaining shots tended to be longer shots than in the first 15, i.e., 25+ yards.

Bill

choctawlb

Hold it guys, I'm not down on 3 under,:biggrin2: it just don't work for me , since it's not the way I learned. By the time I started shooting 3-D in the middle 80's , I had been shooting Traditional equipment for 14 or so years. I even tried the gap method Howard Hill used, and I just couldn't get it to work for me.:banginghe I'm just a purely instinctive shooter, and that works for me. I know I use an aiming method, what it is I don't know, because I just stare at what I'm shooting at and release. I see the arrow, but only subcouncisely.

WildmanSC

Instinctive Sighting

Ken,

I suspect that in your subconscious viewing of the arrow you are using it for left/right alignment of the arrow relative to your intended point of impact. As distance increases and your experience has developed, I suspect you look for a specific sight picture for a given distance. I'm endeavoring to make my sight picture a bit more conscious in nature.

Shoot straight and enjoy!

Bill

Al33

I'm like choctawlb, I shoot split finger and I just look at where I want the arrow to go. I am not concious of any sight picture or gap. Matter of factly, when I diminish my view by concentrating on a very small part of the animal or target is when I hit the best. Now please note I didn't say I hit good, just better when I get focused on where I want the arrow to go.:bounce: