Takedowns VS single piece bows?

Al33

Whether it's a re-curve or a longbow, what is your preference and why?

Of course, the take downs are easy to travel with and you can replace the limbs if the bowyer still makes them, but for me at least, once I put one together it stays that way and I have never had two sets of limbs for the same riser. That leaves me with only the traveling advantage for a take down and I have never had to pack one for air travel, and the posibility I may need to replace a busted or twisted limb which I have never had to do.

In my search for a new re-curve I am trying to decide which one I should go with. Perhaps I am overlooking some other advantages.:huh:

WildmanSC

Travel Other Than Air

Al,

I've found T/D longbows and recurves to be very beneficial when travelling out of state for a deer hunt. I've traveled to WV and IL and I was glad I had T/D bows and a hard case to stow them in. While there at the house, they stay assembled and strung, ready to shoot. I also like the added weight in the riser of a 3-piece T/D recurve or longbow.

Bill

Last edited:

ky_longbow

Al,
i agree the benefits of a 3 piece cant be beat-
and unless i have multiple limbs for a certain riser- the bow hardly ever gets broken down---------
what i like is a riser that will except a set of longbow limbs or recurve limbs- a combo bow- so to speak-
they are sweet !

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Al,
my great plains is a takedown(rc) with 2 sets of limbs i love that part. also traveling is easier but my next crooked stic will be a 1pc recuve. heck i like um both.

john

Husky Bottoms

SUMMER ROAD TRIP!!!

Al,
my great plains is a takedown(rc) with 2 sets of limbs i love that part. also traveling is easier but my next crooked stic will be a 1pc recuve. heck i like um both.

john

John-
My best friend is buds with Bill Foreman at Great Plains, he has actually gone out to TX to do some work in his shop. I have 2 T/D from him and am getting him to make me another custom 65# when I go to Cloverdale next week.
http://www.cloverdalenationals.com/
Then the week after is Compton, MI which is another awesome shoot.
http://www.comptontraditional.com/read.cfm?id=4

These things are packed every year and are a lot of fun! It's a drive, but this is a good time of year in the midwest!!

Glenn

I have one take-down recurve and three one piece recurves. I prefer a one piece because of the light weight.