Rookie Needs Turkey Calls Advice

01Foreman400

Staff member
I'm going to give turkey hunting a try for the first time this year. I need some advice on what calls to start off with.

Thanks,
Darrell

dutchman

Get yourself a good box call. I like a Lynch Foolproof. It was my first call and it works! Get some box call chalk while you're at it. Not the schoolboard kind as it contains oil and will mess up a good box call.

Get yourself a tape or CD or DVD on calling and hunting and watch/listen to is and mimic the sounds the hunters make on your box call. Get it down pat. Learn the yelp first. When you've got that down, learn the cluck.

Practice, practice, practice. Keep in in your vehicle with you. When you come to a traffic light, pick it up and strike a lick or two. Practice a lot. You've only got about 6 weeks till the opener.

I know guys that have been hunting for years and all they use is a box. They work!

Good luck.

short stop

you pulled the lid off here -- DUTCHMAN HAS GOT IT ---I started 20 yrs ago with a second hand casset tape''played it till i memoriuzed it in my sleep :D '' ---yelp cluk purr cackle -- 4 simple calls to master --- practice till the cows come home for the novice man -- if you can keep turkey hunting simple you can have a real good time , dont over load youself with calls and all the extra -ELMO- you see these like guys on the outdoor shows . 1 Gun A FEW CALLS AND SOME CAMO -- Dutchman ---I got 50 call-- Most of them are clssified as ''junk '' give me my bustted up Lynch fool proof thats all i need SS

Last edited:

Arrow Flinger

The rest are right. Get a box call but I would also get a good push pin call. It is the easiest call to use and makes an awesome cluck and purr.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I agree with the rest! I now prefer a slate call, but the box call was the easiest for me to master. I would learn to master the box first then work on a slate next. The push button call is a great idea most turkey hunters wont use one so it may provide that different sound you need to bring in a pressured gobbler. And dutchman is right about the practice. If your family has not threatend to divorce you you have not practiced enough. When you get in the field remeber its called turkey hunting not turkey calling. Scout!!!, get were the turkeys want to be, keep your calling simple and you will do fine.

E

Etter1

IN no time at all, you can get good enough to call in a turkey with a slate call. I use a diaphragm for locating and then only a slate. It's easy as pie. Just keep it conditioned and practice a bit and it's really not tough.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Thanks for the help. Sounds like the Lynch Fool Proof is a good one to get. Trust me if my wife can put up with my predator calls these turkey calls will be music to her ears. :bounce:

Darrell

deast1988

What did you decide? Been some time and see your a killer a lot can change in a few years. What calls do you carry these days? Might help some people out. :biggrin2:

deast1988

He mentioned his secret weapon was a pump action yelper. And a lead lined mouth call. Something about you gotta get your mind right before he senses your karma or smells you. ::gone: I know he's a killer guess it makes sense though. Just wanted the insight on the masters chi.

J Gilbert

Every now and then, I'm driving through town and hear a God-awful sound.. look over and there's a guy at a stop light pumpin' away on a Squealin Hen call--- always seems to have an older Honda in the back of the truck too.. I'm starting to put the pieces together

01Foreman400

Staff member
Every now and then, I'm driving through town and hear a God-awful sound.. look over and there's a guy at a stop light pumpin' away on a Squealin Hen call--- always seems to have an older Honda in the back of the truck too.. I'm starting to put the pieces together

I didn't fall for buying one of those Squealin Hens though. I just use one of my predator calls. Saved that money and bought more ammo. :rofl:

01Foreman400

Staff member
He mentioned his secret weapon was a pump action yelper. And a lead lined mouth call. Something about you gotta get your mind right before he senses your karma or smells you. ::gone: I know he's a killer guess it makes sense though. Just wanted the insight on the masters chi.

Curtis has taught me the ways while we are riding into work everyday. One day I'm hoping he will let me shadow him while he hunts. He said I'm not ready yet though. :banginghe

deast1988

Curtis has taught me the ways while we are riding into work everyday. One day I'm hoping he will let me shadow him while he hunts. He said I'm not ready yet though. :banginghe

I've heard the same thing, since your tagged out could I borrow your Dixon vest need some of that killing MOjo off it. A cost box or Williams should help too. Only if a "Strut Master." Wants to be one with the force, should he help ones friends.

Curtis-UGA

I'm leaving my calls at home next weekend. Gonna let you guide me. Probably bring my day planner to take notes in.

deast1988

I'm leaving my calls at home next weekend. Gonna let you guide me. Probably bring my day planner to take notes in.

Confrence call in Order!!! I'm clearing my schedule bringing my kindle fire. Taking quality notes! :rofl:

deast1988

We better have a good set-up then. :rofl: I'll throw that dang planner in the creek. facepalm:

I hope y'all film it, when Harry meets Lloyd. :huh:

Tk and mike were able to cull a few on film. Maybe y'all get lucky. :rofl: