How did you learn to turkey hunt?

Junebug

With the wealth of knowledge at our fingertips (internet, TV, books, magazines, videos) it occurred to me that the tools we use to learn has changed much over the years.

When I was a kid, seems like folks were really secretive about turkey hunting. Maybe because there weren't as many birds to go around, or very few people that knew how to hunt them...I dunno. Besides the old-timers who'd been killing turkeys for years, us "newbies" (at least my friends and I) learned alot by trial and error. Yeah, we read everything we could get our hands on...but after that it was try, try again.

I'm glad folks (especially the Woody's gang) is so willing to help a fellow-hunter out; having a coach can really flatten the learning curve.

So, how did you learn? Did you have someone to help you along, or was it pretty much on your own?

frankwright

I was totally on my own. The little I know I learned from TV shows like "Turkey Call",and turkey hunting videos. I took what I learned at these places and outdoor forums and blended it with what I learned in the woods.

It would have been a lot easier to walk behind a Ben Lee than to learn like I did but you do what you can do.

Goose

I owe my career to

Gobblingdawg. He was the 1st person to take me and I've been hooking up with him in the spring woods ever since. I know books, videos, and the internet are great, but I think there's something special about passing down what you know directly to another individual.

Goose

Arrow3

My dad...

I tagged along with him when I was a little kid...I was in on several kills at an early age with him pulling the trigger....I took what he taught me and adapted my own style to it....Ive been killing turkeys by myself since I was 15 and Im 29 now....Ive also called up every bird ive ever killed....Ive never been just the "shooter"....I have had Hunter Haven's help a time or two though and vise versa for him...

Outdoor-Writer07

Learning...

I have learned a bunch from my DAD who took me on my very first turkey hunt and many more since then. Not only have I learned a bunch from my DAD, but I have learned a bunch just from friends. I have hunted with folks that I have learned a lot from. I have also taught myself some with the trial and error technique! I am not through learning yet, I think every turkey hunter will tell you that! :cool:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
on my own...and from a few here and there....not very well I might add:D

Jim

MISSING RIDGE

Gone But Not Forgotten
From a good buddy

Al+33-took me out to turkey hunt the first time-he gave me a couple of calls-which I will always cherish. The first time out he had 5-gobblers going before 10:00am. A flock of hens came down the ridge next to the one we were set-up on and they conversed- Al and the ol' boss hen. Al has continued to help me learn about turkey hunting for the last five years- he and I both say "we don't know nothing about turkey hunting" and sometimes the same about fishing. We have made many good memories in the turkey and deer woods and in many outings together and look forward to many more. THANKS AL YOU HAVE MADE A
"PESKY GOBBLIN CRITTER " HUNTER OF ME!!

Missing Ridge

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Whiteboy,you and I probably use some of the same tactics since I got most of my early working knowledge of turkey hunting from one of Doug Camp's books also.It was called "Turkey Hunting Spring and Fall" and it's still the best "how-to" turkey hunting book that I've ever read.
Armed with the all the info I could remember from the book,a very modest calling ability and a 4000 acre club chock full of turkeys,I killed three longbeards (including my first double) before the second Saturday of my first turkey season!

Echo

dutchman

Echo said:
Whiteboy,you and I probably use some of the same tactics since I got most of my early working knowledge of turkey hunting from one of Doug Camp's books also.It was called "Turkey Hunting Spring and Fall" and it's still the best "how-to" turkey hunting book that I've ever read. Echo

Great book! Great writer. I'm sorry he's gone. He was always willing to stnad and answer questions at outdoor shows and seminars.
This is how I got started as well. That plus lotsa trial and effort. And every gobbler I encounter still teaches me something.

short stop

My Grand daddy took me but he hunted just like deer huntin very few calls just snuck up on the gobbler after dayllight . Always listenin for the bird and circled him . I bumped to many birds --wasnt patient nuf and stuborn when i was a boy ---I killed alot o birds #1 at 10 yrs old ---but I taught myself to call with casset tape over and over --played it till broke !!! I think my momma threw it away !!! :crazy: I dont know why :D SS

Junebug

SS,
I had a Ben Rodgers Lee cassette that had blank spots wore in it from listening over, and over, and over...

hambone44

My dad gave me an old Lynch slate when I was 12, and taught me how to cluck on it. From there on out, a lot of reading and even more trial and error taught me the ropes of turkey huntin'.

Jody Hawk

I had a buddy take me to begin with and he taught me the basics. I've also learned alot from watching videos. I've probably learned more by just being out there enjoying the successful hunts and learning from the unsuccessful ones.

seminoleslayer

I Tagged Along With A Friend Or 2.they Said I Sounded Like Crap When I Called And I'd Never Kill One On My On.so I Just Started Going As Much As I Can And The Rest Is History Know They Want Me To Call With Or For Them.the More You Go The More You Know.you'll Mess Up And You'll Kill Some Birds Just Go Man Anytime Of Day You Can.be In The Woods I've Killed Birds By Getting Ahead Of Them And Staying Quiet.if You Have Good Woodsmenship Just Call Light And Very Little You Will Connect.

hawglips

Banned
I had a very good mentor.

It really cuts down on the learning curve.

Hal

limbhanger

Turkey Hunting

I graduated High School in 1986 from Florence H.S in Florence, Ms. I had hunted a few times with buddies but nothing serious. Anyway, I went to East Ms. Jr. College in Scooba, Mississippi and began hunting with some of the faculty members. The President was a decent hunter but a man Named Mr. Barnham was awesome. Mr. B was the food service manager and the best turkey hunter I have ever encountered. Over the course of two years I was blessed to hunt with some of the best and I learned alot from these gentlman. Can't wait for March..