Scouting For Turkey!!!

JByrd15

GONetwork Member
We have 600 acres in Coweta Co., alot of it is swamp, but we do have a some fields, hardwood ridges, and planted pines. Have seen a few Turkeys there, but cant seem to locate them. I was wondering where the best places are to scout them and hunt them?? I would appricate any help.

Arrow Flinger

I am seeing most of the sign right now in the creek bottoms. The birds are still scratching around the water oaks looking for the remaining acorns right now. The bottoms are also usually the first places to green up in the spring and that is always a good place to start around opening day.

Dudley Do-Wrong

Get on top of a ridge or the highest point on your property and use a locator call. Being on a high point, you should be able to fairly well pinpoint any response you get plus you won't be disturbing the birds.

Randy

Scouting right now is fruitless. They will change there locations in about two more weeks. Be around those fields when season gets here!

seminoleslayer

Truthfully I Don't Scout I Know All My Tracts Pretty Good.1800 Acs In Hancock 2000 Dooly 1600 Jones 900 Jones 150 Baldwin 120 Bibb 345 Laurens.i Just Go To A Good Listening Spot And Wait On One To Gobble.if I Don't Hear Anything I Start Trolling.all Of My Tracts Are Privately Owned And Pressure Low.if You Hunt Public I Might Would Start Looking Soon.

bubbafowler

turkeys

Jason, IF you want to go down one tuesday or thursday afternoon, Ill be more than happy to ride with ya, but I have to agree to wait until about 2 weeks before the season. Heck Ill even do some calling for ya during the season, and let you shoot, IF'N you shoot quick that is!!!! But no, just lemme know when, I already have a few beards hanging on my wall so ill be more than happy to call one in for you, ill just shoot it with my video camera--Matthew

Last edited:

JByrd15

GONetwork Member
We will have to try it one weekend Mathew. I can call them, just never really turkey hunted that much. I have been seening some places where they have been scratching around, but dont know where they all go when Turkey season comes in :huh: , its like they all disappear!!!

willhunt

What Randy said. They're still in large flocks right now (at least up here). When the flocks break up, then scout. Just my .02 worth.

wh

Outdoor-Writer07

Repeat...

I hate to sound like a broke record but those fields might be about like GOLD during turkey season. Just as Randy said, Scouting would not really make much sense until those groups break up! :pop:

JByrd15

GONetwork Member
Thanks for your help, I guess that I will try the fields. Is it a good idea to put some corn out and a camera (it will be long gone by opening day of course), to get them using an area and for scouting purposes???

Randy

It is NEVER a good idea to put corn out!

dutchman

Randy said:
Scouting right now is fruitless. They will change there locations in about two more weeks. Be around those fields when season gets here!

On the 600 acre tract, scouting may not do much good right now. But if a person is hunting a new area (aka learning the ground) or a public area of thousands of acres, a lot of which is not regularly used by turkeys, scouting now would be a good thing.

JByrd15

GONetwork Member
Im not going to hunt over the corn, just wanted to put out my camera and see if I could get some pictures, and see what our turkey population looks like!!!! I have been walking around this past weekend and have found some good places where they have been scratching around. Thinking about getting up one morning at daylight and listening for some gobbles, and try to locate where they have been roosting. Where are some typical places turkeys will roost, do they normal roost in the same tree or close by??

SOD

Randy said:
It is NEVER a good idea to put corn out!

How is it never a good idea to put out corn?

He'll probablly come back and say "because you will kill all your turkeys with a bacteria that grow on corn".

Let me tell you my family lives in NC and has been growing corn for 23 years, and all of those years has been feeding wildlife with it . It's put out year round on our property and have never found one dead turkey on the place. I know countless ppl who do the same thing. It's legal to bait deer in North Carolina just as it is in several other states, so corn is put out in huge quantities all year round and I have never heard one confirmed story of turkeys dieing from it!!

If it was true the state would have outlawed it long ago.

Randy

SOD,
Just the facts mam. Just the facts. So you have never actually hunted? Just shot over bait. What a shame. :( You really should try hunting some time. It is great fun and very challenging.

Last edited:

NUTT

JBYRD,
I would go down there and check your food plots. You should find turkey droppings in them right now if you have turkeys on your place. imo, a little corn in a spin cast feeder ain't never hurt nothing. It's usually ate up within 30 minutes after its out. If you put out any type food just make sure it is in the open so predators don't sneak up on the game you are feeding.And make sure its all gone 10 days before the season. :clap: Good luck nutt

dutchman

Randy said:
Just the facts mam. Just the facts. So you have never actually hunted? Just shot over bait. What a shame. :( You really should try hunting some time. It is great fun and very challenging.

Did you mean to call him what I think you just called him?
His handle is SOD.

MODS! Clean-up on aisle 9!

Randy

Sorry! A little miss type there!

SOD

Randy said:

Figured you'd come back with a lame personal attack, instead of giving a reason for your statement. :crazy: :crazy:

Your very predictable.

You bash ppl for killing Jakes, tell them they didn't call in a bird if not less than 40yds, Not a hunter if they have feed stations on their propery, Not a hunter if they use a muzzleloader, Not a hunter if they spot and stalk.

Why don't you hunt they way you want to and quit trying to cram your distorted way of thinking down everyones throats for a change!!!

Tom Borck

Banned
Not real sure about Coweta Co., but in our area I would locate the tallest pine trees and preferably over water.

Try going late in the afternoon and listen for them to fly up.

Also, you might want to try an owl call.

We have 6 places at our place were I KNOW the birds roost!! Makes it pretty easy to find them in the morning.

These are a few things we have done in the past.