Best Slate, Crystal and Aluminum

pseshooter

I was just wondering everyones thoughts on this. I have several makes and models and love most of them. I am just trying to kill the cabin fever until turkey season and love to see what eveyone is using. Thanks in advance.

dutchman

Let start by saying that I do not (yet) own a custom made turkey call. If I did, my answer would likely be different.

That being said, I love my Primos Power Crystal.
I also love my Knight & Hale Slate Queen.

They both sound great to me, with the right strikers, of course.

pseshooter

Mine

I guess I should have put in my favorite.

Slate Cody World Class
Crystal Bud and Betty
Aluminum ??? QB Bullseye sound real good.

Randy

My favorite Slate is actually a flip slate/crystal by Tony Reynolds.

My favorite crystal is a Loftis Crystal Screamer.

My favortie aluminum is the Cherry Alum. by Woodhaven.

But this all might change after this weekends trip to the NWTF in Nashville!

Nitro

Banned
I have multiple favorites in each category- Sorry........

Slate- Dave Tyree or Darrel Gibson (also a 20 year old Mike Battey custom)

Crystal- Bud &Betty (Russell Lynch) Tony Reynolds custom Snood series

Aluminum- Darrel Dawkins custom...........only one I have heard that's worth a crap... :bounce: Just got it two weeks ago and it will get hunted this year.

Randy

I don't thnk so. I have not seen them at any show in about 5 years and I can not find them on the web. I noticed Jack Scott had one on his table for people to use to try out his strikers!

Randy

I think Loftis is out of business. I have not seen them at a shop in about 5 years adn I could not find a web site. Too bad it is a great call.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
My favorite slate is from Andy Kaiser. :cool:
My favorite aluminum is my Woodhaven or my American Friction Alumaglass. (Does anyone else run an Alumaglass?) This may change when my Darrin Dawkins finally arrives with everything good I have heard about him :fine: !
My best crystal is my Bud and Betty which is great,but I am always looking for the next best thing! :D

All these will be in the vest come March 26!

Gage

I can't wait to see Gobblinglawyer's answers! What to choose out of his 3500+ calls!
This must be some collection! :clap:

Last edited:

Hawghead

slate-Cane creek slate with woodhaven strike 3 striker or a Darrin Dawkins single slate I just bought last week.

Glass- Andy Kaiser zebrawood glass with zebrawood striker

aluminum-Darrin Dawkins aluminum with purpleheart striker....got this call last summer..looking forward to using it this season

crystal- Supreme Calls cystal with slate on back by Steve reeves.
Also have a crystal call by dynamic calls that sounds pretty good also.

Hawghead

GAGE, you are really going to like the Dawkins aluminum. I bet you will be carrying it in your vest come March 26th.

I'll credit GL with giving me the heads up on a Sweet Aluminum call.

gobblinglawyer

Slate: Toss up between the Cody World Class with Becote Striker and the Darrin Dawkins Single Slate with Purple Heart Striker

Glass: Cody Spec I with Heavy Hickory Striker

Aluminum: Darrin Dawkins Aluminum with Purple Heart Striker (though I am looking forward to buying a Bud & Betty's at the NWTF Convention this weekend.)

bossgobbler

Slate: Cody with a striker from Jack Scott
Glass: Woodhaven Legend ( found it this weekend in Perry)
Aluminum: Again either Woodhaven or Reynolds--tried both in Perry and they were both awesome! Got a Reynolds coming in the mail and look to pick up a Woodhaven. They sound great!

pseshooter

Gl

How does that Spec 1 sound ? Is it high pitched, raspy, clean? I am thinking about the Spec 1 glass as my next call.

Hoyt

Slate- Blodgett Double Trouble
Glass- My turtle shell home made call or American Friction's Cut-N-Purrfect
Aluminum-American Friction's Alumaglass

gobblinglawyer

pseshooter said:
How does that Spec 1 sound ? Is it high pitched, raspy, clean? I am thinking about the Spec 1 glass as my next call.

The Spec I is rather high pitched and relatively clean. It can get raspy, too, if needed. You better get on the "list" quick as turkey season is just around the corner. It took me 5 months to get my last Spec I.

pseshooter

Gl

I ordered my Spec 1 glass today and will be here in about 3 days.Bill said they just got finished making another batch to get ready for NWTF. I can't wait.I am sure it os going to be a great match with my World Class slate. Bill actually said that is what he carries and recomends to people that ask or call.