First Ever Hog Hunt???

z71mathewsman

Going on my first hog hunt on family farm in Dooly Co next month. Looking for a few hints on how to hunt these critters. There is a swamp on this property,is this a good place to start? Also should I put out corn the day before? Hunt evenings or mornings? Any feedback will be appreciated!

Arrow3

First of all, you can't bait hogs legally...Hog hunting can be some of the most exciting hunting there is....You need to pay attention to the wind...They can smell better then deer and they don't hang around if they catch just a slight smell thats out of place..Ive had better luck hunting them at night...They make all kinds of noise and you can stalk right up to them...If all possible shoot them in the head...No fun trailing a wounded hog...

hawg dawg

Hog Hunt

THATS WHEN I GET GOING WHEN MY CURRS HAVE A 250 LBS BIG BLACK BOAR BAYED ::; NO FEELIN LIKE IT JUST YOU AND HIM AND A PIECE OF ROPE :rolleyes:

rjcruiser

First of all, you can't bait hogs legally......

I've heard conflicting reports on this? It was my understanding that you can bait pigs as long as it isn't deer season...possibly also turkey season. Is there anyone who can clarify?

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've heard conflicting reports on this? It was my understanding that you can bait pigs as long as it isn't deer season...possibly also turkey season. Is there anyone who can clarify?

No matter the time of year or current hunting season,you can only use bait for hogs under permit from the WRD.

hevishot

Banned
gotta have a permit to bait hogs and the permit is only when turkey season and deer season are not in...

muzzy17is

Going on my first hog hunt on family farm in Dooly Co next month. Looking for a few hints on how to hunt these critters. There is a swamp on this property,is this a good place to start? Also should I put out corn the day before? Hunt evenings or mornings? Any feedback will be appreciated!

I would get out there and sit by the swamp in the morning and then look around for fresh sign. Fresh rooting(dirt overturned looks like a bulldozer has been in it) with lots of tracks and moisture still visible would be a good spot to sit around for a morning or evening hunt as well. The way we do it in Fl. is we get a 5 gal bucket and fill it 3/4 up with corn and then fill to the rim with water. Put lid on it and sit in sun for a few days. The corn will sour and the hogs can't resist it. Another thing that works is to get an old burlap sack, soak it in burnt oil and rap the bottom of a tree trunk with it. The hogs will come to it and rub all over it. Good luck, feel free to pm me with any other questions about hogs. I've been hunting them for years.

rjcruiser

Another thing that works is to get an old burlap sack, soak it in burnt oil and rap the bottom of a tree trunk with it. The hogs will come to it and rub all over it.

Would this be considered baiting as it isn't a food source?