Remington 878 Automaster with improved cylinder...

the HEED!

Banned
I bought a old fairly rare autoloader 12 gauge the other day. The 878 was only produced from 59-62 and it came with imp cyl bore. As this is an old classic gun with only 65000 produced i will not modify the barrel for screw in chokes. Will the imp cylinder be effective say at 25-30 on no.4 shot with 2 3/4 shells for turkey. Is this gonna be effective to kill a turkey at this distance? Please advise...

Junebug

PSE Triton,
I'd think the improved cylinder might be pushing it a bit but my only suggestion is to pattern it to determine the range that it'll put enough pellets on the paper to cleanly dispatch a bird. You may also beware some of today's loads...they may be overly harsh on an older autoloader's gas system.

Sounds like a nice gun though!

broadhead

Nice gun. I don't know if I'd ding it up in the turkey woods though. Sounds like a good gun for the dove field.

the HEED!

Banned
Turkey woods...

the stock and forearm have normal nicks and wear from 45 years of exsistence but is in exceptional condition otherwise, Ill put a few different loads through it and go with best patterning but i believe the gun should put about 60-65% of the shot on target with improved cylinder at 25 yards. Should be right on at close range, if i get em in that close. The gun is in awesome shape so it will be a fine shooter, anybody know where i can get a used 870 barrell with rem choke installed since they will interchange with a gas port job?