which glue?

deersled

I'm finishing up my first woodie. This is what I've done so far. I've stained it, painted some lines on it(nothing fancy) then applied 3 coats of polyurethane. I've been doing some reading and I'm a little confused about what type of adhesive I should use. I've got some liquid superglue, goat tuff glue, and just bought some Duco cement (read on Tradgang where it seems to be fairly popular). Which one of these, if any, would hold feather fletch reliably over the polyurethane? Thanks

deersled

oh yeah, does anybody know how to start a thread on Tradgang.com. I can't see where you would do it. I've logged in, but just don't see it.

OconeeDan

For tradgang, there is a little silver (grey) button in top right corner "new topic".
Can't help with the glue question.
Dan

Al33

I would "think" the Duco would work best. Superglue, as I understand it, is primarily for carbons. You can can go with fletch tape also.

frankwright

http://www.3riversarchery.com/ListProduct.asp?offset=3

I have used Duco in the past and it works well but boy is it slow. You need to give each feather at least 20 minutes in the clamp before removing.

For the last five years I have used nothing but the Fletch tape on wood,carbon and aluminum arrows to glue feathers. A drop of glue at the front and back of each feather and you are done.

If there is a downside, it is that you usually have to mail order it as I have found it hard to find in an archery shop.

deersled

That's the one item I failed to order:banginghe(tape). I hate to make an order just for it with shipping and everything. My next order will definitely include the tape. But for now, I was checking to see what ya'll think might work. Does that Duco come off easy when you need to refletch?

OconeeDan

No, Duco does not come off easy, you need to basically scrape it off.
You may want to try plain ole Bohning Fletch tite.

reviveourhomes

You can get Duco at Wal-mart. I use fletch tape now and wont ever go back to glues. I wish I would have started using it long ago. Its not only easy but on woodies if one of your feathers gets messed up you can pull it off without ruining your cresting unlike glue.

reviveourhomes

If there is a Archery shop near you, which I think ther is in Newnan they should be able to order the fletch tape cause its made by Bohning. My local shop ordered some for me.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Gables Sporting Goods opened a shop up in Newnan, did'nt they ? They may carry it, or at least can get it for you.
Jerald

FVR

I use Duco for the fletchings. When they are dry, I always put a dab of superglue on the front and back of the fletching.

I use the hot melt shellac for the points.

If you purchase field points new, take them and soak them in acetone then wipe off. They come lightly oiled in the bag and many times the oil prevents the glue from sticking to the point. Use a q tip to get the insides of the point.

I glue three fletchings on at a time. I glue, set up, and wait 30 min. Can not imagine doing one fletch at a time.

reviveourhomes

Thats the beauty of fletch tape you can do a dozen arrows in about 30 minutes and no dry time wait.

And I have never had a feather come off unless I wanted it to. And when you pull them off it doesnt mess your cresting up at all.

Some people put a drop of glue on the front and back of the feather with the tape but i have never done that and still never had a feather come off. A roll cost about $10 and it will fletch probably 3 dozen arrows.

Last edited:

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've picked up the fletch tape at Bass Pro.

deersled

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll just have to get me some tape. WARNING!!!!! Stand by for many more questions!!:banana:

reviveourhomes

Thats right Kevin bring em on. Thats what we are here for Bro!

deersled

You asked for it......How bout putting a nock on? My arrows are pre-tapered for nocks. I read something about lining up the grain with the nock? Can you explain?:huh:

Al33

You asked for it......How bout putting a nock on? My arrows are pre-tapered for nocks. I read something about lining up the grain with the nock? Can you explain?:huh:

Never heard that before, I just line 'em up so they are perpendicular to the cock feather.:huh:

reviveourhomes

You have to line them upagainst the grain that way if you bust a nock the force of the string doesnt split the shaft. What you do is look at the shaft and put the runouts on top and bottom of the shaft. Imagine your shaft sitting on the shelf of your bow. If your run-outs are on top and bottom of the shaft then that means the grain is running from left to right. That way your string were the nock to break would hit the full force of cross grain. If you did it with the run-outs on the left and right of the shaft the grain would be running from top to bottom of the shaft and the force of the string would split right between the layers.

Is that clear as mud?