Make'n Flu-Flu's

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Iv'e been read'n a little on them and I have the main idea and some feathers, shafts, etc. but was wonder'n a few things.
1) Do you have to have a 6 fletch straight, or will they work alright with 3 fletch left helical ? (the only clamp I have)
2) What would be the recomended length to cut the feathers, 5" ?
I'm going to be using wild turkey primarys for the fletching. Can ya use secondarys, or are they not wide enough ?
I think that is all I have, for now any way ;)
Thanks,
Jerald

Al33

Jerald, one way is to strip the secondaries and wrap them around the shaft in a spiral. I made some up not too long ago using fletch tape. It took two strips of fletching to complete the spiral. Let me know if you want a pic of it.

fflintlock

Yes !! Pic please ;)
There ya'll go agin with that "fletch tape" I guess I'm gonna have to just break down and buy some of that stuff LOL
Thanks Al
Jerald

Al33

Here ya go Jerald:

You can still use glue, just tape down the ends.

Attachments

• fluflu1.jpg
    fluflu1.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 777
  • fluflu2.jpg
    fluflu2.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 406
  • fluflu3.jpg
    fluflu3.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 382

Just BB

Have a question about Flu Flu's. I get the general idea and the purpose. Never have shot one through and wondered how far they will travel

Al33

Depending on the bow and shot angle, they can go well over a 100 yards. Shooting them at targets on the ground they usually hit then scoot a little ways. My longest kill with a rubber blunted flu-flu was 32 yards on a squirrel on the ground. I believe shooting a wooden shaft flu-flu from my 65# longbow it would kill a squirrel or rabbit 40+ yards if I could hit it.

Just BB

Got to make me a couple and get some blunt tips for Squirrels. I find myself these days sitting alot in the stand, while I hope the deer walks by one of my sons. Even if one walks by me, if it's even closely going in the direction of one of the boys, I'd have to let it walk...unless it's HUGE. So a shot at a squirrel every once in awhile sounds like fun to me.

Al33

Got to make me a couple and get some blunt tips for Squirrels. I find myself these days sitting alot in the stand, while I hope the deer walks by one of my sons. Even if one walks by me, if it's even closely going in the direction of one of the boys, I'd have to let it walk...unless it's HUGE. So a shot at a squirrel every once in awhile sounds like fun to me.
You really don't need flu-flus for that, just put some judo points on your regular arrows.

Just BB

Okay Al, I'll just do that cause Judo know what you're talking about

Al33

Hey BB, you oughtta go ahead and get you some flu flu's just for some fun shootin' in the yard.

fflintlock

Just striped a few feathers and glued one on a shaft to see how it will turn out. I'll let it set up tonight and let ole Jacob try it out tomorrow evening. I did the spiral flu-flu, like in your pic Al.
Jacob said we're nuts' it'll never work LOL!!!

fflintlock

Well, I made two of them yesterday and shot them today. They fly pretty dang decent. One I did with an aluminum shaft and about a 5 1/2" spiral fletch with a screw in 125 gn. target point, the other was a woodie with about a 4" spiral fletch and an HTM rubber blunt. The aluminum flies much better then the woodie. The 5 1/2" has quit a bit of drag, but it flies real good ;)
I'm going to try making some 5" left helical 4 or 6 fletch next.
Jerald

reviveourhomes

4 fletch wont slow it down much Jerald, you need to do the 6 fletch. I use to use 4 5" fletch on my normal arrows until I switched back to 3 fletch.

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member
Depending on the bow and shot angle, they can go well over a 100 yards. Shooting them at targets on the ground they usually hit then scoot a little ways. My longest kill with a rubber blunted flu-flu was 32 yards on a squirrel on the ground. I believe shooting a wooden shaft flu-flu from my 65# longbow it would kill a squirrel or rabbit 40+ yards if I could hit it.

And this is the same bow and same arrows you were shooting directly at me?:hair::hair::hair::hair:

Just BB

Anyone ever take a poke at a squirrel in a tree with these things? (small tree)

Al33

Anyone ever take a poke at a squirrel in a tree with these things? (small tree)

Actually their design is perfect for tree shots. With a blunt tip they are not likely to get stuck in a limb and if it is a clear miss they are not too difficult to find if you pay attention to where they drop. I have knocked a few squirrels out of the trees with them and it sure is fun.:D You do not have to limit yourself to squirrels in small trees, the flu-flu's will get up there and do a number on 'em if your shot is good.

barzbait

Flu-Flu

Ok, dump question time. What exactly is the purpose of Flu-Flu arrows. Have only seen them used for wing shooting competition at a TBG shoot. Someone gave my son some. He used them on the 3-D range and whipped my butt.