.22 Magnum to a .17 HMR...

BlackKnight755

I want to know how hard it would be to convert a Ruger M77/22 Magnum to a M77/17 HMR and what would have to be done. I know that you would have to have another barrel, I just don't know what else. Any Ideas on the subject? Let me know if you have done this or if you know someone who has made the conversion.

contender*

Better to go from a 77/17 to the 22 mag (if your having to buy one or the other rifle) because the aftermarket 22 mag barrels are cheaper than the 17's.
All you do to change the barrels is to remove the action from the stock, flip it upside down and remove the two allen head screws from the V-block that holds the barrel into the action. Pull the barrel out and push the other in being sure to align the extractor notch with the extractor. Reinstall the v-block and screws and tighten each bolt a little on each side until tight. BTW a 10-22 barrel and a 77-22 barrel are different, even though they are mounted the same the milled parts of the barrel (the part that goes into the receiver) is different.

BlackKnight755

Thanks for the help and advice, BK.