.280 or .308?

fountain

how do the ballistics sompare. i am wondering wich is more comperable for hunting around here, say 250 yards or so. i may get a different barrell for my pro hunter. just wondering which may be a better bet.

7Mag Hunter

Balistically---At 250 yds, the .308 has a bit more energy..Plus it
does offer a greater range of bullet weights...

Lead Poison

The 280 is the better all-around cartridge!

is the 280 flatter than the .308?

Yes, the 280 is a flatter shooting cartridge. The 280 is much closer to the 30-06 than the 308.

I own and love, both cartridges and a deer will not know the difference out to 250 yards.

However, the 280 is a hands down better all-around cartridge with a greater case capacity than the 308.

As much as I love the 308, if I could only have one of these for the rest of my hunting days, I'd surely choose the 280 over the 308!

Larry Rooks

Limiting your shots to 250 yards, it want matter one bit whcich one of thse you go with, both will do the job. If I were hunting where shots may run longer that 250 from time to time, I would choose the 280 Rem

Those aren't the same class of cartridge. .280 is based on the /06. A more direct comparison would be 7mm-08 vs .280. Not much difference between those.

bucky

Those aren't the same class of cartridge. .280 is based on the /06. A more direct comparison would be 7mm-08 vs .280. Not much difference between those.

A 7-08 is a 308 casing with a 280 bullet so really you are still comparing a 308 and a 280.280 is my choice.:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Bill Mc

I'd check on how easy you can buy the ammo and for how much. .308 is generally available.

Unless you handload.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
.280 FTW!

Of course I am biased since I hunt with a .280.

GA1dad

308 hands down!!!!!! Atleast for me!!!!!

257 roberts

I'd like to have a 280 Rem.( I've got 2 308's and a 7mm08,270,3006 and abunch of others including a 7x57 but never owned a 280)

Hammack

I personally love a 280. It's a great cartridge. at that distance most any caliber you choose will be able to get the job done, so it comes down to personal preference.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
308 better bullet variety offered---280 a "little" better trajectory but not enough to matter-- 308 shorter action than 280--myself I have 2-280's one 308(hunting gun- if we talk about match guns it's a whole different story) anyway both are capable of taking a deer at that range IF you are capable----:bounce:just get one of each is my advice:bounce:

Lead Poison

A 7-08 is to a .280 as a .308 is to a /06. :rolleyes:

My ignore list just keeps getting longer and longer.

I'm afraid he's right; other than the bullet diameters, the 7mm-08 is more often be compared to the 308, and the 280 is more often compared to the 30-06. And for good reason, both the 7mm-08 and 308 are short actions, while the 280 and 30-06 are both long actions. Because of their similar case capacity and velocities, the short actions are closer in performance with one another, as are the two long actions. :huh:

I see no reason why you feel the need to publicly ridcule someone by inferring that you need to put them on your ignore list. :(

Dub

I'm afraid he's right; other than the bullet diameters, the 7mm-08 is more often be compared to the 308, and the 280 is more often compared to the 30-06. And for good reason, both the 7mm-08 and 308 are short actions, while the 280 and 30-06 are both long actions. Because of their similar case capacity and velocities, the short actions are closer in performance with one another, as are the two long actions. :huh:

I see no reason why you feel the need to publicly ridcule someone by inferring that you need to put them on your ignore list. :(

Well said, I agree.

OkieHunter

The 308 Win is a fine round and your bullet selection is much better than the 280 but my selection 300 yards and out would have to be the 280. I have one 280 and four 308's but the 280 is a much flatter shooting round and it's fairly close to 7mm mag performance.