50 yds

ellaville hunter

there may be a thread about this. i was setting in my 7 mag started at 25 yds got it dead on so i try 50 yds 10 inchs high. did i miss or does this sound right?

viper25963

Well from what the "wise ones" have told me and through trial and error it should be high at 50 yds. Tale is dead on at 25 dead on at 100, but at the 50 yd mark the bullet has the "arc" so to speak which makes it hit high but not that high. Now I may be wrong on this and im sure if I am it will be brought to our attention, but that's just what i've been taught!

Last edited:

stev

Banned
there may be a thread about this. i was setting in my 7 mag started at 25 yds got it dead on so i try 50 yds 10 inchs high. did i miss or does this sound right?
yup .you need to shoot 100yds to see fer sure.make it at least 1'' to 2'' high at 100yds.I shot mine at the shoals at 25 yds 1" high at 25 and it was 8 '' high at 100 yds.I adjusted mine 2'' high at 100yds.So my 250 yd will be hold on the spot to shoot.

ejs1980

If you are dead on at 25 it's nearly impossible to be 10 inches high at 50. Theoretically if your crosshairs are 2 inches above your bore and you sight in at 25 you'll be no more than 2 inches high at 50. If your bullet went laser straight you'd be 6 inches high at 100. It doesn't fly like a laser though so you will be a little lower probally 4.5 inches high at 100. Thats still way too high . With a seven mag dead on at about 40 yards would put you close to 2 high at 100. you really need to get to a range. Sorry about the long post to answer your question either your not on at 25 or you missed.

ellaville hunter

thanks i put 3 shoots dead on at 25 all most the same hole at 50 3 shoots could cover with a half dollar i will work on it mon after work

j_seph

Go to remington and download shoot, you can put in the bullet your shooting, how far your target is and where you want your zero to be and it will show you where it should be sighted in at the range your target is. You can also view recoil forces and graph the trajectory of your bullet w/ any caliber at up to 1000yds

MCBUCK

Shooting at 25yds is ok....but back out to 100yds for your next group to check you POI, and then adjust. Uncle Sam taught me that 25 uears ago,and I have used it with out fail since. ejs1980, is on with his assertation.
Question for you........Are you using those "See Thru" mounts ? Some people swear by them, but my experience has been simple.......Lose em. The close you can get your scope to the barrel the better you are.

OkieHunter

The only thing shooting at 25 yards does for you is get it on the paper and have a place to start. You should always sight in at 100 yards and adjust from there for 200 yards.

DURAMAXLT

Might do this with those super high see through mounts does anyone use those anymore I sure hope not.you should be about .5" low at 25 yards though.

DLS

My 7mm is 2" low ay 50 yrds. & 1" high at 100 . had it for 20 years .always the same

Davexx1

Shooting at close range is only to get you on the paper and get you a starting point. You then increase the range and adjust as necessary. The final adjustment is done at long range.

Modern rifle cartridges are capable of taking game at far greater distances than most hunters plan or expect to shoot at thus they don't shoot their gun and practise at those longer ranges. This can be a mistake and a missed opportunity.

To make a good shot and quick clean kill at long range the shooter needs to practise at those distances and be familiar with the trajectory so as to know where to hold to make the shot. Long distance shooting just takes some time and practise and can be an exciting and enlightening experience that will make you a better shooter and hunter.

Dave1

ellaville hunter

it was a new scope i shot it at 25 just to see where i was and what i had to do. i got set now 2 in high at 100 yds shot a doe sat at 120 yda she never moved so i think i got it where it needs to be

discounthunter

i sort of understand being off paper at 100 ,you move in (or get a bigger peice of paper) but at 25 a bullit should not be dead center because its true flight is a arch. at 25 it will be going up thus you will shoot hi so you dont get a real sense of where you are , unless you arevery fluent in ballistic charts