Dirty Muzzleloader

muzzy17is

I have a knight muzzle loader that had sat in between shooting and cleanning and after cleanning it I could not get a sabot to start in the barrel. Took a good look at it and it still looks ruff. What is the best way to take care of this problem? I thought about using a fine cleanning wire brissel brush on the end of my ramrod and putting in a drill but was worried about damaging the bore??:huh::huh::huh:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have a brush that is made for 50 caliber with my cleaning apparatus, Have you tried a brush yet?

I bet a brush and some solvent would cut most of that stuff loose.

Good luck.

7Mag Hunter

I would NOT use a drill/bruch combo !!!!!

If you have visible rust, I would use a good ramrod, and brass
brush to remove it...Spraying a bit of WD-40 should help....Might
even have to take a bore solvent to soften things a bit more....

leoparddog

Get yourself some Kroil, swap it with Kroil leaving it sloppy. Let it sit overnight, brush with a standard brush and swab the next day. A few cycles of this will make it shootable again.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Well,
Have you tried any of the suggestions?

stev

Banned
50 cal brush and some citrus patch.Wrap the citrus patch around the brush and stroke .Do it a couple times.Its not too good on rust but it will take the powder resedue away.

Fro1911nut

Get u a cleaner called Sweets...Midway USA sales it...its allmost 100% ammonia

mmarkey

Put a small patch of 000 steelwool on a cleaning rod and work it a while. Should clean it out and won't hurt it. Next time clean it when you use it!!!

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
When you say "rough", do you mean that it still has residue in it, or do you mean that there is pitting from the rust?

If it still has residue in it then any of the suggestions should work for you. If it is rough because it is pitted, then the only thing that will help is to get a new barrel.

Noodler

This is why a muzzleloader needs to be cleaned after ever shooting session. People are surprised at seeing stainless steel actually rusting, and pryrodx powder can be corrosive.

I manly shoot real black powder, because I desire the instant ignition it provides over the substitutes. When I choose pyrodex as a substitute for black power that’s never changes my cleaning procedures. I completely break down the firearm and clean with hot water and soap. During installation I only use T/C bore butter and T/C gorilla grease anti-seize and never do I use WD-40 or any other petroleum based product.

I would use hot soap and water along with a brass bore brush. Hopefully it’s only crude and not rust. After words I would use the above mentioned products for true corrosion prevention.