Winchester Model 70 Rifles

Doc_Holliday23

Of course, we all know that pre-1964 Model 70's are some of the best rifles ever manufactured, for various reasons, I believe some being flat bottomed receiver, controlled round feed, cut-checkering, etc. Then after 1964 they went to push feeds and some folks complanied, etc etc etc. In 1992 they started back making CRF actions.

I have heard various opinions on post-1992 70's, mostly good. However I have also heard about infamous "bad years" where USRAC was supposedly just spitting out crappy rifle after crappy rifle. Then, supposedly they got better again and quality control was up in the past few years, even though they finally had to close the New Haven plant.

My questions is, are there really bad years for Model 70's that people should stay away from buying? What years are bad? Anybody very familiar with Winchester rifles specifically can tell me what was bad about the rifles if there were "bad years."

OkieHunter

The only bad thing I can say about the pre-64' is a lousy trigger (but can be taken care of) and to much drop in thier stocks they tended to kick the He__ outa you. or at least mine do.

308 WIN

Classic 70's were awesome rifles until about 2003, that is when quality went in the toilet, and it never came back. Just about every one I've held has had major issues. The ways to tell if it is a gun made after 2002 are: "Trademarks licensed from Olin Corp" on the receiver instead of "Winchester Trademark", G plus 7 digit serial # instead of 5 or 6 digit, recessed crown, very dark walnut finish, crappy checkering, stainless extractor on blue rifles (these extractors are really better than the blue ones were, but they came about the same time overall quality went south.)
Not to say that every Classic was bad from this time frame, but way too many were.
Now the Classic's made in the 90's are the best rifles made in my book, I have 5.

Last edited:

Pineywoods

I bought a .270 Classic SS in 2003. Best groups I could get out of it were 3-5"@100 yds. This after pillar bedding, trigger adjustment and a new crown.
Sent it to Hart for a new spout, got rid of the Tupperware stock.......it groups 0.3-1" now with factory loads.
Still my favorite rifle action

Dub

Bought a Coyote in 300WSM in late 2003, I believe.

It never grouped worth a durn....factory ammo, handloads, different weights, etc.

Gunsmith said it would take some coins to get it right...more than I wanted to spend on the gun. I unloaded it for close to what I had in it.

Larry Rooks

I've got two Mod 70 Coyotes, one in 270 WSM and the other in 25 WSSM and they both shoot great. Narry a
problem with either. I got the first one the same year that the 270 WSM was made and the other the first year that the 25 WSSM was made. Both have gtiven great service
and accurate. I had a mod 70 SS in 7MM WSM and sold it, and kicked my butt every day for doing so, it was great too

Dub

One thing is for sure....they are good looking guns. Everyone at the range commented on it...."Man that is a nice custom ya got there".

I suspect I could have had it blueprinted and seen super results. Maybe I should have held on to it and done so. Oh well, one of those situations you wish you would've handled differently....my fault.

Capt Gary

I have two mid-90s Model 70 classics and they are both outstanding firearms.

I have restocked them, but other than that no alterations have been made.
The actions are as smooth as any bolt gun ever and they are both expectionally accurate.

One is a Classic Featherweight Stainless in 30/06. I McMillian stock it with their synthetic and pillar bed.
The other is a Classic Stainless in .300 Weatherby Mag.
Had this one stock by HS Presion.

I was careful and did a 40 shoot and clean breakin on both rifles.
They both will shoot less than an inch with several different factory loads and have never given me a moments trouble.

Both are scoped with Leupold VX III scopes
The 30/06 wears a 2.5 X 8 and the .300 a 4.5 X 14.
They both carry Warne Premier bases and rings. These are not longer produced by Warne, but were outstanding equipment, just too costly to produce.

Get you a good older Mdl 70, dress it up right and it will be the rifle of a lifetime, or maybe several lifetimes.