best grain bullet for .300 for deer

fountain

just trying to figure out which gr. bullets to shoot. i currently have the 180 gr. accubond ct's. everyone has told me that that is too much and i need to drop down to a 165 gr. what are some popular bullets/gr. weight combos for the .300 win mag. what do they offer eith the barne's x-bullet?

Doc_Holliday23

300 win mag?

I've got some 150gr Barnes-X and 165gr Barnes-X being loaded for me right now. I've been shooting 150gr Power Points until I get them back.

Hornady has a 165gr SST that I've heard good things about also.

After I shoot up the 150's (which my rifle is sighted in for now) I'll switch to 165 and stay with it, as a nice compromise between 150 and 180. That way, I wno't have to re-zero the rifle switching between two bullet sizes.

GMC Highrider

I'm also using the 180 gr accubonds in my .300 Win Mag. I've used the lighter bullets but just prefer the middle weight ones. Never had a problem with them being "too much".

Jetjockey

Gonna shoot 180gr Nosler Partitions in mine as well.. I don't see the need to shoot 150's out of a 300 when a 270 can shoot them at over 2800ft/sec. But then again, there is people who will disagree with me. Most people you talk to will say that some sort of 180gr bullet in a 300 is a match made in heaven. Should get right around 3000ft/sec that combo. The accubonds are probably a little better choice than the partitions or TSX for whitetails. If you were going to hunt elk or bear, I would suggest the partitions or TSX.

7Mag Hunter

Any gun will shoot any bullet....
Question is which is best for your gun....

I would try several different bullet weights, and decide which
is the most accurate in MY gun.....

If you can't hit it, it doesn't matter which bullet weight you shoot....

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
I've taken many deer with Win Super X 150gr Power Points.

wolf3006

If your rifle likes the 180 gr. accubond ct's shoot them.If not shoot a whole bunch of others see what it likes and go with it .

willec

7 Mag Hunter is correct you need to try several brand and weights of bullets and find out what your gun likes. I shot 180 BT in my Hawa 1500. I was never able to get the 150's to hold good groups. As for whitetails a 300 mag will do a number on them.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
RE: 300

I have been shooting 180 Nosler partitions since last year. These bullets perform flawlessly. Killed 3 deer last year with them. A little pricey... but worth it.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Any one from 110 grains to 220 grains will kill any deer equally. They will all be dead.

"Aim small miss small", :)

gt40

OkieHunter

The 180 grainers and expecially the Partitons are great on Elk size game but way to much bullet for a whitetail deer