muzzleloaders for turkeys

cpowel10

Serious question here. Is it legal to shoot a turkey with a muzzloader with a sabot? Not a muzzleloading shotgun, but a muzzleloader firing a solid bullet. I know folks have joked around about it on here before, but I wasn't sure if its legal. Thanks

cpowel10

Yeah Sabots are the only way to go. I cant wait to shoot a turkey at 200 yards. What grain bullet should i use?

I'm not hunting turkeys with it, I'm just asking if its a legal weapon. That way I can hunt hogs on a WMA with it during turkey season

pcsolutions1

yep

I'm not hunting turkeys with it, I'm just asking if its a legal weapon. That way I can hunt hogs on a WMA with it during turkey season

Sure is and that's the main reason I bought my ML. Legal during small games and turkey season and you are allowed to hunt pigs with it during these seasons on WMA's. I can't wait to get me about a 90lb pig.........some fine eating. Tastes a lot better than turkeys or tree rats.

Tom

dognducks

Banned
so if you saw a big tom strutting out in the middle of the field and you had a ML in your hand you wouldn't shoot it?

Glenn

I just have to chime in on this one...:rolleyes:

I know your asking if it is legal in Georgia but I will let you know that "It is legal" here in Florida.

And I have always been the type that thought it was a bad deal for anyone to use a rifle to shoot a turkey due to the advantage of long distance shooting or off the roost shooting.

But last year I was having issues with my shotgun and did not have time to figure out what was going on with it so I pulled my black powder stuff out and hunted with my 50 cal the rest of the season.

I ended up taking my limit of 2 mature Toms , one with my shotgun (before the issue) and my 2nd with my NEF muzzleloader. My shot was less than 20 yards with the muzzleloader and it was a perfect bottom of the neck shot that never messed up any meat and the bird did not run off like they have with shotgun hits before.

I hunt thick swamps and flatwoods and my shots are never more than 30 maybe 40 yards so to me I would rather shoot a bird at 30 yards with the muzzleloader and have the bird fall right there than to chance wounding the bird and having it run off.

But I fixed my 12 gauge and will still hunt with it but I would have no problem using my muzzleloader.

But you have to understand that I do not hunt food plots or open pastures where you could pop one at 100 yards....that is no good:offtopic:

Attachments

• edturk2.jpg
    edturk2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 78
  • edturk3.jpg
    edturk3.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 77

Latest posts