.444 Marlin?

BowHunter89

I am considering buying one of these in a lever gun and have a few questions first. Can I shoot 44's and 454's out of this gun or strickly .444's? Also what would you compare the recoil of this gun to? And while you are at it anything else I should know about this gun? Thanks Aaron

holton27596

454 is a 45 caliber. 44 is a 429 caliber, 444 is a 430 based on a straightened 30-06 case. I love my 444. it is awesome with garrett or buffalo bore rounds.

Lead Poison

I love the Marlin 444 XLR and the standard model as well.

You cannot shoot 44s or 454s in the Marlin 444.

The Marlin 444 is my favorite Marlin lever action. Recoil with factory 240 grain bullets is not severe. You will get a little more felt recoil when you shoot handloads at near maximum velocity.

My favorite bullet for the 444 is the Hornady 265 SP. I've had good results using H-335 powder, but several others work well too.

The Marlin 444 is an under-rated deer cartridge.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
To be absolutely sure what you can shoot in it, look it up on-line at Marlin or call them.

cmshoot

I love my .444. I mainly shoot the Georgia Arms 270grn load out of it, very accurate and hard-hitting. GA Arms also has a 300grn load for it.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I love my .444...its the hammer of the gods on a whitetail. I shoot handloaded 270gr. Gold Dots over H335. I have shot 7 deer with it and while they have all run, they leave a blood trail a blind man can follow.

BowHunter89

Thanks for the responses so far guys but let me ask it this way how would you compare the recoil to a 3" magnum shell out of a 870? I am not too terrably recoil sensitive but I don't want to buy something and decide I hate it.:rolleyes:

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Thanks for the responses so far guys but let me ask it this way how would you compare the recoil to a 3" magnum shell out of a 870? I am not too terrably recoil sensitive but I don't want to buy something and decide I hate it.:rolleyes:

Its not that bad...I have a 870 with a fully rifled slug barrel and with 3" mag slugs it kicks like a rabid mule eating briars. I would say the .444 is about like shooting a 7 mag at worst a 300 mag.

Buzz

It's not even close. For some reason, many think the .44 is a terrible kicker but I think that the recoil on the .444 is greatly exaggerated.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Get one with a muzzle brake to reduce the recoil, but expect to lose all your hunting buddies after you touch one off the first time.

WTM45

I'd compare the recoil of the .444 in a Marlin to a lightweight .308 Winchester (Remington Model 7) with 180g loads.

Marlin_444

Best Brush Buster on the Market...

Soften any re-coil with a Sims Recoil Pad...

My Rem. 870 kicks worse...

Once you drop a deer with one you'll be hooked...

Standard 22" works well...

Some debate though on rifling ballard -vs- Micro...

Pick-up a good used model 444s or 444ss...

Happy Shooting!