PDA

View Full Version : D.J.s of "old"

dutchman
11-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Who were some of your favorite radio D. J.s when you were growing up?

In the Atlanta market, there was a guy on 96 Rock that I always liked to listen to. His name was Dean Clark and he had the afternoon slot (from 3:00 till 7:00 I think). He always ended his show by saying, "Come get me mother, I'm through."

Two other favorites of mine were on WQXI (790 AM). Gary McKee (morning show with Willis the Guard) and Coyote McCloud (afternoon slot) were fun to listen to. McCloud always started his show with The Beach Boys song, "Fun, Fun, Fun."

McKee wound up on 96 Rock for awhile and after that, I lost track of him.

LJay
11-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Wolf Man Jack!!!!!!!

pfharris1965
11-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Willard who did mid-days on 96 Rock...the Electric Lunch was great to jam to while at work...

Jeff Raines
11-07-2007, 10:43 AM
I never really payed attention to the dj,just wished they'd shut up and play music

dutchman
11-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Willard who did mid-days on 96 Rock...the Electric Lunch was great to jam to while at work...

I remember him. I think he also did evenings at one point on 96. I can recall Dean Clark saying "Willard is next at the top of the hour."

centerc
11-07-2007, 10:48 AM
tim rhodes

Muddyfoots
11-07-2007, 10:54 AM
"Bear" O'Brien

Rick Dees

Nugefan
11-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Christopher Rude with 96 Rock .....:flag:

WTM45
11-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Mark McCain, Eileen Kimball.

"The Wildman" at night.

Remember "The Greaseman" on Z93? What a character!

Twenty five ought six
11-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Skinny Bobby Harper

Grease Man, WAPE, Jacksonville

hevishot
11-07-2007, 11:02 AM
couldnt name a DJ if my life depended on it......

ryano
11-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Russ Albums and Charlie Logan from Tampa's 95 WYNF.

Also liked the Ron and Ron show from the same station as well.

Doc_Holliday23
11-07-2007, 11:09 AM
I just miss Larry and Eric...

dixie
11-07-2007, 11:17 AM
big hugh baby, tony the tiger and skinny bobby come to mind locally

contender*
11-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Kaedy Kiely
Christopher Rude
THE Wake up crew!!!

The AmBASSaDEER
11-07-2007, 11:23 AM

Yep very entertaining, dont forget Ben the Bunny Man!

dixiejacket
11-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Not really a DJ but I still miss the Kimmer!

redlevel
11-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Art Roberts WLS, and Cousin Brucy WABC

I guess I'm just a little older than you. Before Art Roberts there was Dick Biondi, the "wild I-tralion" on WLS. I wasn't supposed to be listening, but Santy Claus brought me a transistor radio with an earphone and I listened in my bed after everybody was asleep.

That must have been about 1960 or'61.

I also remember listening to the Joe Rumore show from "The Big Bam"-WBAM In Montgomery, Alabama. Later, we listened to "Big Johnny Reb" WDAK 540 in Columbus. The main dj I remember there is Alan Boyd, who always ended his show with "I leave you with those two beautiful words: Liz Taylor."

BIGABOW
11-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Christopher Rude with 96 Rock .....:flag:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
Yep he is on 680thefan now!

Doc_Holliday23
11-07-2007, 11:57 AM
not a dj, but a talk radio guy. any of you ever listen to david paul back in the day on am 750? freakin hilarious...

elfiii
11-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Yep, Skinny Bobby, Gary McKee, Dean Clark and Willard. I stole Dean's sign off line and use it all the time.

Allen Waters
11-07-2007, 12:05 PM
anybody remember the Ross and Wilson show? they had to exit stage right after a choice comment about the wayne wiliams case if anyone remembers. i heard the comments were made to get out of their contract.

Handgunner
11-07-2007, 12:10 PM
I don't know if you would call them "old" but The Greaseman on Z-93 and "Bubba the Love Sponge" on 96-Rock always kept me laughing.

Larry and Eric were funny as well.

Now it's Johnboy and Billy and The Big Show.

Doc_Holliday23
11-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Bubba the Love Sponge was pretty funny back in the mid-90's, but the Regular Guys were the best.

What was it that Greaseman said that got him canned? Was it the "and they wonder why we drag them behind trucks" comment?

Slingblade
11-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Yep, Ross and Wilson played "Another one bites the dust" and dedicated it to the latest victim that was fished out of the river. I doubt if they were still in the building when the song ended.

HuntinTom
11-07-2007, 12:35 PM

In the Atlanta market, there was a guy on 96 Rock that I always liked to listen to. His name was Dean Clark and he had the afternoon slot (from 3:00 till 7:00 I think). He always ended his show by saying, "Come get me mother, I'm through."

Two other favorites of mine were on WQXI (790 AM). Gary McKee (morning show with Willis the Guard) and Coyote McCloud (afternoon slot) were fun to listen to. McCloud always started his show with The Beach Boys song, "Fun, Fun, Fun."

Now that brings back many memories :) - I raced moto-cross in the 70's and one of my sponsors was 96 Rock - So, I was around Dean Clark quite a bit - What a great guy with a dry sense of humor that was classic! I miss those days of radio when the DJs didn't have to be "shock-jocks" or "obnoxious" just to stay on the air - Old Dean was laid back, casual, and loved his rock & roll... My second-favorite line of his was when he would speak of himself as, My favorite disk-Jockey, Dean Clark...

It's funny that this thread came up - I was wondering the other day whatever happened to Dean and some of the other folks who were at the station in its heyday...

dutchman
11-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Now that brings back many memories :) - I raced moto-cross in the 70's and one of my sponsors was 96 Rock - So, I was around Dean Clark quite a bit - What a great guy with a dry sense of humor that was classic! I miss those days of radio when the DJs didn't have to be "shock-jocks" or "obnoxious" just to stay on the air - Old Dean was laid back, casual, and loved his rock & roll...

I'll bet you got a good bit of mud in that poked out lip of yours in them motocross races, huh Tommy?:bounce:

HuntinTom
11-07-2007, 12:40 PM
I'll bet you got a good bit of mud in that poked out lip of yours in them motocross races, huh Tommy?:bounce:

Heck no! I was out front where there wern't no mud ;) bounce:

alphachief
11-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Great thread...I watched the old movie FM last night on VH1 Classics station. I remember going to see this movie when I was a Sr. in HS. Bottom line is I remember what "real" FM rock was about. Music with very few commercials...and most of those were about upcoming rock concerts...or in support of the local "head shop":bounce:. And speaking of concerts, I remember when they use to actually broadcast concerts live on FM radio. Ahhhh...those were the days!

specialk
Now it's Johnboy and Billy and The Big Show.

dang it! i wish they would come on here around atlanta! i've started listening to moby in the mornings(yeah baby!) on 92.5.....he's not the greatest but he talks deer hunting quite a bit........

dawglover73

Amen, brother. They could be idiots and Eric was a bit too liberal for me at times. But, they were hilarious. If they could go to a sat radio and have uncensored fun, it would be grand.

cardfan
11-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Larry and Eric will never be on satellite radio together because they HATE each other....

For those who liked Bubba the Love Sponge, he is on Sirius 101 from 3-7pm(afternoon drive) and does mornings on Fridays...

I also saw someone mention cousin Brucy...he can also be found on Sirius, but i'm not sure as to what channel...probably the oldies station...

NC Hunter
11-07-2007, 04:40 PM
anybody remember the Ross and Wilson show? they had to exit stage right after a choice comment about the wayne wiliams case if anyone remembers. i heard the comments were made to get out of their contract.

Yep, Ross and Wilson played "Another one bites the dust" and dedicated it to the latest victim that was fished out of the river. I doubt if they were still in the building when the song ended.

I seem to remember that happening in 1979 or 1980. I remember getting ready for school one morning listening to them. I heard something like "This one goes out to the missing and murdered boys......" Then "Another One Bites The Dust" came on and I thought to myself, did I just hear what I thought I heard?

Never heard from old Ross and Wilson after that. To quote JT, "Couple of idiots."

BKA
11-07-2007, 04:48 PM

me too

Holton
11-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Check out this old clip of Gary Mckee

http://www.airchexx.com/markets/atlanta/gary-mckee-on-79-wqxi-atlanta-full-morning-show-1972

Sutallee
11-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Back in the day, there were five or six rock stations in Atlanta, and the competition among DJ's was hot. My favorites:

Skinny Bobby Harper, who was the inspiration for the Johnny Fever character on "WKRP in Cinncinnati". He was fired by almost every station in Atlanta because he would not toe the line for management. He was at WSB AM when he died a few years ago.

Gary McKee and Willis The Guard. They were so big that they even had records on the market. They were also responsible for the Great Chattahoochee Raft Race that often drew 200,000 people.

"Big Hugh Baby" Jarrett, who once sang backup for Elvis as part of The Jordanaires. He had his own nightclub in Smyrna, "Big Hugh Baby's Hoparoonie". (I'm not making this stuff up.)

Patrick Aloysius Hughes. He had an afternoon request show on WQXI AM that was so popular that the telephone company would bog down every day at 500 PM.

Paul Hughes "The Fifth Beatle"

Jerry Crowe

Dr. Don Rose

Bob Middleton. the "Mayor of Fair Oaks"

I also remember the "underground" FM stations. V103, now an "urban" station, started out as "WPLO-FM. Radio Free Atlanta" and was totally counter culture. They would often play whole albums so that you could tape them. WRAS from Georgia State and WREK from Georgia Tech were seriously underground. too.

Pop
11-07-2007, 07:42 PM
How many remember "The Solem Ole Judge" presenting The Gran Ole Opry let er go boys, clear channel 650 WSM Nashville Tenn. every saturday night on the high boy radio sitting aroun the fireplace. Or Wayne Rainey cant remember the radio station

Dixiesimpleman32
11-07-2007, 08:42 PM
i miss the regular guys.realy liked the fu line i was on there few times.
i get johnboy and billy on the rock station q106.3 awesome station.Its a shame that the great state of atlanta[what sonny thinks our state is]does not have a good rock and classic rock station.I myself dont think buzz sound the same rock should be on the same channel as skynard.I miss the days when you could spend the night in turtles parking lot so you were in front of the line to buy a concert ticket before the internet.

fussyray
11-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Let me go way back, WAKE in Atlanta Paul Drew!

dutchman
11-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Although he wasn't a DJ, I still miss ol' Ludlow Porch.

"Hey there funseekers!":bounce:

Holton
11-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Although he wasn't a DJ, I still miss ol' Ludlow Porch.

"Hey there funseekers!":bounce:

He's here

http://www.funseekers.net/streaming.htm

Ludlow vis a goodun

cardfan
11-08-2007, 08:59 AM
its ashame that clear channel and bit commercial radio destroyed local terrestrial radio....it used to really be something special...

It's rare to find those good Mom & Pop stations anymore....

sentrysam
11-08-2007, 02:05 PM

Wow,I'm haveing flashbacks,Gary was great ,but I do remember Wolfman Jack,and Long John Silver on WOR Chicago,am radio,we picked it up good at night rideing the block ,man ,those were the days,,,thanks for the FB,,,ss