25.06 or 7mm-08

rocket

Can't decide on what caliber for my next rifle. I've never had anything but a .243 and a .270. My BIL swears by his 25.06, but I've heard nothing but good things about 7mm-08.
I know both would do the job, but need some help deciding.

SnowHunter

.25-06 :bounce:

seriously though...either will to the job...look at rifles in both calibers and find one that "sings" to you...then yanno what rifle yer gonna have :D

Or just get one of each! Never can have too many rifles :D:D

Lead Poison

I've killed deer with each and both are very good deer cartridges.

The choice may come down to whether or not you prefer a long or short action.

My choice: 7mm-08

You will definitely be able to shoot heavier bullets in the 7mm-08, so I would give the slightest of edges to the 7mm-08.

7Mag Hunter

Can't comment on the 25-06, but I have used the 7mm-08 and
seen several deer killed with it...Even handloaded some for it....

Ballistically the 7mm-08 has a bit more muzzle energy....

rip18

Like Lead Poison, I've shot deer with both. I really liked the .25-06, and I really liked the 7mm-08. I think for general use, I'd have to go with the 7mm-08...

Buzz

There isn't a penny's worth of field effectiveness between either on of them. The .25-06 will shoot considerably flatter, but that advantage is only apparent at ranges most of us never think of shooting deer at. The 7mm/08 will shoot heavier bullets, but that's a big so what on deer hunting when you consider the .25-06 has excellent 120g options.

If you already have a .270 Winchester, you already have a gun that is slightly more gun that either; however, there isn't a deer in the woods that would know the difference in any of the three.

257 roberts

There isn't a penny's worth of field effectiveness between either on of them. The .25-06 will shoot considerably flatter, but that advantage is only apparent at ranges most of us never think of shooting deer at. The 7mm/08 will shoot heavier bullets, but that's a big so what on deer hunting when you consider the .25-06 has excellent 120g options.

If you already have a .270 Winchester, you already have a gun that is slightly more gun that either; however, there isn't a deer in the woods that would know the difference in any of the three.

Well said!!!:)

little rascal

Depends

on how much meat you want salvage. You will yield more meat from a 7-08 and .270. Seen a few too many deer with shoulder shots that just wrecked the meat on both sides and blood shot a lot of the surrounding area. It is one bad little dude.:bounce:
If you go with the 06 ,just try and make heart or lung shots and save some meat.;)

Buckhead

Consider a .260

A .260 Rem will do anything the 25-06 will and more. If you compare both with 120 grain bullets, the velocity is essentially the same. (within 100 fps) The .260 has the advantage of being able to handle heavier bullets (up to 140 grains typically) and is also a short action like the 7-08. Because it is based on the .308 case, it is much more efficient than the .25-06, burning over 25% less powder resulting in less recoil and blast. 6.5 mm bullets have better ballistic coeficients and sectional density than 25 caliber bullets, giving better down range performance and penetration. The 7-08 beats the .260 in energy delivery, but not by much. The .260 is a good little round, perfect for Whitetails.

weagle

7x57 summed it up well. Both are great game getters. I think you'll find your decision swayed mostly by the type of rifle you prefer. The 25.06 will usually be in a full size 22 or 24" barrel bolt gun, while the 7mm08 can be found in some really handy rifles like the Remington model 7 or ruger 77 compact.

Weagle

Country Road

I've shot a 25-.06 for 3 years now shooting Hornady 117gr. and can't complain. Great flat shooting with good knock down power. It's brought down everything that I've shot at with great accuracy.

Wild Turkey

Why buy a necked down .308 (7mm-06)when you can have a .308.
Or go with a .280. Either are better than the 7-06