sniper rifle

Im looking to find a tactical sniper rifle that can double as a deer rifle if i want to use it. dont really care about the caliber just has to be big enough to ethically deer hunt with anyone know who makes one and where i can find one

howie_r

I don't know about make and model but I think most Swat unit's use a 308 i think it was or you looking for a millitary sniper rifle?
I am sure one of these guys can help you alot more than me but hopefuly that is a slight starting point.

burkecountydeer

I would buy a Savage stevens model 243 and put a good scope and have the trigger pull light and buy a aftermarket stock . Just like this one , http://tnpredators.com/coppermine/displayimage/album=3/***=8.html

Lorren68

most major firearms manufactures have a tactical version of some form or another but it has quite a bit to the price over a standard hunting rifle

MKW

easy

This is a pretty easy decision as far as I would be concerned. You need a Rem 700 PSS LTR. These rifles have 20" fluted barrels and a HS Precision stocks. All that I have ever heard of will really shoot. They are available in .223, .308, and 300 short action. My .223 will shoot less than 1/2" groups at 100yrds all day long.

Mike

Attachments

• 000_0003 (Medium).JPG
    000_0003 (Medium).JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 418

257 roberts

I have a hunting rifle that doubles as a sniper rifle,its a Remington 700 VLS 308 Win,Leupold Vari X III 3.5x10 and a Harris Bi-Pod.

huntin1

Look at Savage 10FP in .308, very accurate, come with several different options for stocks. Get the McMillan if you can afford it. Love mine.

Top it with quality glass and you won't be sorry.

huntin1

Randy

I had one just like yours as well as a PSS in 308. They definately are shooters.

jfinch

I have the LTR in 300 SAUM. I am still in the process of working on loads but it looks to be capable of less than 1" groups. It is a little light for a tactical rifle and a touch heavy for a hunting rifle. I got mine because I wanted a rifle that would be very accurate but wanted it in a compact package so I wanted a 20" barrel as max and a short action. The LTR weighs about the same as a standard BDL but it has a thicker barrel which is generally more accurate. You also get the HS stock with the aluminum bedding block.

skinner

Three of us in our club shoot the 700 Rem ltr in 308. They are tack drivers. The shorter barrel makes it easy to handle in the woods and it's good out to 500 yards which is 300 longer than we need.

Nitro

Banned
I use my 700VS in .308 as a stand rifle. Leupold 3.5-10x50 in Talley mounts.

It was good from the factory. I had Gary Bennett go through the rifle front to back and now it is an excellent rifle. Incredibly accurate.

SakoL61R

I like my Remmy .308 LTR! Handles great in the stand and very accurate!

Attachments

• LTR.jpg
    LTR.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 216

hizzoner51

Look at Savage 10FP in .308, very accurate, come with several different options for stocks. Get the McMillan if you can afford it. Love mine.

Top it with quality glass and you won't be sorry.

huntin1

Ditto that. I have one and it's a fine rifle. Bit heavy at the end of a long hunting day, but I can overlook that. And you gotta love the accutrigger.

I have an FN patrol bolt rifle that I like to hunt with as well. It's a bit smaller than the Savage and is topped with Leupold glass. The Hogue stock is quite nice for "dewy" mornings.

I have had experience with the Remingtons and would have bought one instead of the FN, but the dealer was out of stock when I purchased.

I find both rifles more attractive to me for hunting than most "regular" rifles, but I carried either a EBR in .223, or a tactical .308 for many years so I admit my prejudice.

The only shop I know of in your neck of the woods (if it's the city of Bartow) is the store in Dublin. I can't recall the exact name but I know they sell all types of rifles and do some custom work. If you're in Bartow County, I don't know anyone over there.

I have dealt with Dixie Ammo Dump in Hoschton (www.armthepopulace.com) and find the store to be good with their pricing. The selection is OK and they can order anything you'd like.

Hope this helps.