PDA

View Full Version : Best Marlin 30-30 ammo for deer

cpayne32
11-14-2007, 09:08 AM
Looking for a few opinions here. I just purchased a 30-30 marlin and was wondering the type ammo to purchase. I have never had any experience with the 30-30, so looking for some advice.:bounce:

BRYAN T
11-14-2007, 09:24 AM
I HAVE KILLED MANY DEER WITH MY MARLIN 30-30 AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS. ALL WITH REMINGTON Core-Lokt 150 GRAIN POINTED SOFT POINT.

potsticker
11-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Looking for a few opinions here. I just purchased a 30-30 marlin and was wondering the type ammo to purchase. I have never had any experience with the 30-30, so looking for some advice.:bounce:You have come to the right store. Ive hunted with a marlin 30-30 since 1962. I have put 1,000s of rounds thru one rifle and it still shoot a great group. Tons of ammo on the market ant they all do a great job. For me and my firearm, we like the remington core-loctin 150 grain. Winchester 150 gr. will work as well, i think its power point. I think whatever cal. you use 150 gr. is enough.:bounce::bounce::bounce::cool::biggrin2:

reelblue1
11-14-2007, 09:28 AM
My personal favorite is any Hornady ammo. I think it is the best off the shelf ammo. I just recently bought some Hornady 30-30 150Grn Interlocks for mine. I think if you check the performance numbers,the hornady will outperform the rest, but I have killed quite a few deer thru the years, with winchesters or whatever walmart or some hardware store had. Good Luck.

bilgerat
11-14-2007, 09:32 AM
I just bought and old marlin 30-30 off the swap n sell to replace the one that was stolen a few years ago. I grew up hunting with one and took many deer with it. I like the Hornaday 170 grain , a little more knock down power and great for brush hunting.

cpayne32
11-14-2007, 09:36 AM
This may be off the subject, but I am planning on not putting a scope on this gun due to the close range shots in my hunting area. Is this a bad idea? And I really appreciate the info on the ammo:)

bilgerat
11-14-2007, 09:39 AM
get see thru mounts, and a scope, best of both worlds

potsticker
11-14-2007, 09:42 AM
I just bought and old marlin 30-30 off the swap n sell to replace the one that was stolen a few years ago. I grew up hunting with one and took many deer with it. I like the Hornaday 170 grain , a little more knock down power and great for brush hunting.brush gun: easy to handle and great follow up shot.I agree the marlin is a great firearm for all hunting conditions but, a great brush gun to me is a ruger .44 mag, or my winchester mod.1100, with a mag full of 3" oo buckshot. I was never a buckshot fan until my friend from virginia came down and dispached a fine buck at 75 yards with that load. 4 pellets went completely throu the buck, one broke both shoulders. A firearm totally under used.:whip::whip::whip:

Doyle
11-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Use the LeverEvolution and you'll never go back to roundnose again. With 150grn roundnose, I was sighted in dead on at 100yds. With the hotter 160 grn LeverEvolution, I was now almost 3" high at 100 and almost dead on at 200.

puredrenalin
11-14-2007, 11:17 AM
I shoot a Win Model 94 AE (Angle Eject) Ive got a Bushnell 4x32 on it, I shoot the 170 gr Winchester bullets, havent had a deer go more than 80 yds when I hit em! I sight it in at 100 yds, about 1/2" high. Shoot a couple differnet bullets and see which one your gun likes and go with them. Good luck man!!

cpayne32
11-14-2007, 11:24 AM
You guys have been a big help! I appreciate it!!:bounce:

Daddyboy
11-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Potsticker has me by God only knows how many years but hear is mine. Got it as a early Christmas present in '76 so's I'd have it when the season opened. I've hunted with it mostly since then except when I'd used stepdads 16 ga with slugs.
It has been a great rifle and has given me ABSOLUTELY no problems even when abused & the cleanings weren't done as often as should have been. A dependable rifle, the Marlin model 336 30-30.
I put a scope on it about five years ago cause I started hunting at a friends that has a couple fields 200 and 250 yards in length. I have had it (with the scope) zeroed to 175 yards cause my yard only had that much clearing. The raised scope (Simmons) with mounts also purchased at Walmart. The sling is a strap that was liberated from M16 extras in 1982. Just tied it on.

Oldstick
11-14-2007, 12:29 PM
I am not saying not to do it, because it works fine for a lot of folks and probably anyone could adjust to if they wanted to.

But before you go out and get some of those high, see-thru mounts, study those pics carefully. Notice where you eye has to be to see thru the scope then notice where most people are accustomed to having their cheek firmly planted (the stock) when shooting.

I vote for no scope on a 336 unless you know you will have some long shots or your eyesight requires it.

Daddyboy
11-14-2007, 12:59 PM
I've had no problems with shooting from the scope or shooting under it. Well, that's not completely true. Getting use to these bifocals is changing a lot. Can't focus as quick going from scope to hard site. I still have refocusing issues. See it someone close by has a setup with the raised site and give it a try.

Dog Hunter
11-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I would stay away from the silver tip bullets. I went with corelok for years and dropped many in their tracks or within eyesite on all. My mom shot silver tips and lost several bucks.

swamp
11-14-2007, 02:04 PM
I killed my 10 pt with a 30-30 336 Marlin and was using the Remington Corelok. I used my see through mounts as i too have a scope. Did not need it the deer was about 30yds away. He ran about 70 yds and fell.

BassAssassin013
11-14-2007, 03:47 PM
The Hornady LeverEvolution bullets turn the .30-30 into a long range gun. Not just a brush buster anymore, these bullets make the .30-30 accurate up to 300 yards!

David Pinner
11-14-2007, 03:53 PM
i have been using one for a long time. i have used all kinds of different bullets and have lost a couple deer. the winchester 170 grain silver tips(not the balistic tips, these have a round silvertip and regular bronze shell) are, hands down the best there is. the coreloc are ok but, since using the silver tips, out of 20 deer, only 2 have run more than 10 yds. i have other guns but if i want to shoot a deer and drop it in its tracks, thats the go-to gun.

howie_r
11-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Hornaday is what I use a little more expensive but accurate as heck.

merc123
11-14-2007, 04:58 PM
I use 170gr winchester silvertips. I'm cheap and at $16/box I can't beat it, but I don't use my 30-30 for hunting myself.

SkyHigh
11-14-2007, 05:23 PM
I hunt with a Malin 30-30. It has see through mounts and I have had no problems with it. I love this gun and have been successful with it. I use the Remington Core Lock 150 grain. They seem to do the job.

Hawghead
11-14-2007, 07:21 PM
hornady leverrevolution would optimize your performance on that 30-30.

GA1dad
11-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Core Lokt!!!

The following is strictly my opinion!!!

Winchester Ammo sucks!!!! Go to a store and open up a box. You'll find the most inconsistent quality. Bullets will be seated at differant depths, little dings and dents in the cases. Then open a box of Remington Corelokt. As a rule,,,,,, it'll look great!!!! And likely will shoot better groups than the Winchester.

I find the Hornady to be good ammo, just can't justify it's cost cause Corelokt works so well.

Once again,,,,,,, my opinion.

seaweaver
11-14-2007, 07:28 PM
I settled on the 170 Cls ...or the guns have. You should shoot a few to see what the gun likes now...and when the barrel gets broken in.
I never liked high mounts as my cheek felt funny. But there has been many times I have need them. My low mount works great at low power at close range and long. the trick there is remembering to keep it low till you need high. Had it set high when watching hogs at distance, then walked into one at ten feet. All I could see was grass, had to sight down the barrel..and got him.
cw

potsticker
11-14-2007, 07:33 PM
I am not saying not to do it, because it works fine for a lot of folks and probably anyone could adjust to if they wanted to.

But before you go out and get some of those high, see-thru mounts, study those pics carefully. Notice where you eye has to be to see thru the scope then notice where most people are accustomed to having their cheek firmly planted (the stock) when shooting.

I vote for no scope on a 336 unless you know you will have some long shots or your eyesight requires it.you are dead right. Those see thru mounts are responisable for more deer being missed than any other contraption. I hunted with a ton of guys that had those gosh awful things and they missed deer on a regular basis. I have a marlin 336sc, with a bushnell scope and the lowest mounts i could find. Cheek on wood shooting good.Cheek off wood look for blood!:bounce::whip::whip::whip:

LJay
11-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Winchester 170 grain hollow point.

merc123
11-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Winchester Ammo sucks!!!! Go to a store and open up a box. You'll find the most inconsistent quality. Bullets will be seated at differant depths, little dings and dents in the cases. Then open a box of Remington Corelokt. As a rule,,,,,, it'll look great!!!! And likely will shoot better groups than the Winchester.

Get what you pay for I guess, but I will still use the winchesters :)

Son
11-14-2007, 08:07 PM
I have a Marlin 336C, bought in a Navy Ship store in Bainbridge Md in 1960. Kicks like a mule, but shoots great. I've always used 170 gr hollowpoints. Only used it one year, and took a nice eight point in Citrus mgmt area in Florida. Now here is the part you might not believe. I shot at him five times at anywhere from 150 to 200 yards runing, hit him twice. My Dad used the rifle once in the same woods back in the 60's and took a six point.

GA1dad
11-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Get what you pay for I guess, but I will still use the winchesters :)

I wouldn't ask you to change if you're happy either!:cheers::cheers:

discounthunter
11-14-2007, 08:35 PM
winchester 150 gr power point (x2). winchester 150 gr soft point prior to that . ive got a 1 3/4 x 5 redfield wide view. i big mistake on thes guns is overpowering your scope to gun. most people get a 30-30 as a "brush gun" or close range in the thick gun. so a scope that can see out to 1000 yrds is a waste.(and hard to quick focus at close range(do to the xmag issues)

JasonF
11-14-2007, 10:12 PM
I just bought and old marlin 30-30 off the swap n sell to replace the one that was stolen a few years ago. I grew up hunting with one and took many deer with it. I like the Hornaday 170 grain , a little more knock down power and great for brush hunting.

The Hornaday Leverevelution bullets will increase your performance to some degree.

Better groups and increased accuracy: Yes

Take a deer at 200yds: Yes

Great for brush hunting: No :confused:

The Remington Cor-Lok has more knock-down power at 50yrds than the new Hornaday Leverevelution hands down. Those bullets don't even come close to reaching their full velocity at that range. :whip:

My vote goes to the Remington Cor-Lok! The 30-30 was ment to be a brush gun. IMO, the best gun for hunting river bottoms, small plots, and the really thick stuff next to the bedding areas. If you really plan on taking a deer out at 200yrds, go with a 270!

Public Land Prowler
11-14-2007, 10:14 PM
I have seen what hornady leverevolution does to hogs,and it is good!Deer are much tenderer..lol

reelblue1
11-15-2007, 08:44 AM
I was looking at My Horn Custom 150Gn Interloks. It says o drop to 100 yards & 7.7 at 200 yds. That should be plenty effective for a long shot. On a different note. I bought a cheap Simmons scope from Walmart for my 30-30. It is the 3-9 X50, made in china. I have a Weaver Grand slam 3.5-10X50 that I was saving for another gun. Will the cheap Simmons be OK to use or should I just go ahead and put the Grand Slam on it? I am shooting at the most 50 yds. I will be sticking with my 150 grn Hornady, but may try the 170 Grn, but just haven't seen any. Thanks

Retired Army Guy
11-15-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm a Lever Action Fan as well but my love is the 35 Rem. I also use the Core-Lockt bullets from Remington but I buy the"Georgia Arms" version. There a bit faster than most of your off the shelf ammo.

Its all up to you about scopes what "You" like. I will say this thou. With todays quality optics you don't really need see thru mounts. They were designed when Optics were in their infancy and in low light conditions scopes diminished your ability to see. This has changed drastically! Now scopes allow you to see "better" in low light than your naked eye! SO if a scope allows you to see "better" in low light why would you go through the hassle of a high mounted see through scope mount??? Trust me a flat mounted scope is much easier to work with and blends into the rifle rather than sticking out from it. Something you may want to seriously consider if you want your fast handling lever action to stay well balanced.

I have a Leupold 2.5 x 20mm flat mounted on my Lever gun. Its by no means a long range gun or scope but for tired aging eyes its perfect for short range action. Its small & light enough you dont even now its there. Tons of eye relief I highly recommend you shoot with both eyes. It allows me to shoot my lever action like a lever action, quick and fast. If you would like some pics PM me.

Doyle
11-15-2007, 09:43 AM
The Hornaday Leverevelution bullets will increase your performance to some degree.

Better groups and increased accuracy: Yes

Take a deer at 200yds: Yes

Great for brush hunting: No

The Remington Cor-Lok has more knock-down power at 50yrds than the new Hornaday Leverevelution hands down. Those bullets don't even come close to reaching their full velocity at that range.

What do you base this on? The old "round nose = better in the brush" myth was debunked long ago. Your velocity assumption doesn't hold water either. All bullets reach their maximum velocity the instant they leave the barrel.

seaweaver
11-15-2007, 09:51 AM
ReelB I would save the high dollar for the high dollar gun.
I have several simmons and they all work fine. The best I have is a 4x on a 45/70. Bright and solid under recoil.
Dana, they found my .35! It went to Atl and will be returned Sat!
cw