Browning BAR question

bwarren2

Never had a BAR, always wanted one. A friend of mine was telling me they jam a lot? I had never heard this before. Can anyone chime in on this? Would the Belgium made BAR be better than the JAPAN made one from a jamming standoint.

Thanks

7Mag Hunter

Never heard of a problem with BARs...Several guys I know have
em, and love them...Sister in law has one (wood stock) in 270
that I have been trying to buy from her.....

revrandyf

BAR

I have owned several different calibers and have two now and have never had a problem with jamming. Love 'em.

W4DSB

I own 2 BAR's and neither one has ever Jammed or failed to feed and fire any sort of ammo I fed them.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I had a Remy 7400 "Jamomatic" that I sold and got a BAR Safari and will never go back. Great for doubles. The second deer freezes and won't here you reload like a bolt or lever action and you can drop the second deer. I have dropped 2 deer at just under 300 yards also with it. Very accurate also.

"Aim small miss small", :)

gt40

cotton top

Had one since mid 70's, It hasn't jammed yet, in 30/06
also has a very good trigger too.

REMINGTON710

thats what my buddy uses and he loves his...never has jammed for him

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
I've owned a 338WM,300WSM and a 30/06 and have NEVER had any round I fed them "Jam". Also on a side note.......Each one would shoot sub-MOA once I found out what they liked:)

Robert

RJY66

I have used a BAR since the late 1980's and have yet to have the first problem. No jams, no malfunctions. It is a very very good gun if you want an autoloader.

Now days, they make two versions of them. The "safari" which is the old style that most everyone on the board is talking about and a new version called a "shorttrac and longtrac".

Both are probably good. But if you want the "tried and true", go with the Safari version.

A lot of people don't know that Browning is not a manufacturing company but simply a brand that is licensed by different manufacturers. For instance, I believe Browning bows are made by PSE. Same thing with the clothing, knives, fishing equipment, etc. Some big manufacturer makes the products, puts the "buckmark" on them and Browning sells them.

The Browning BAR is made by Fabrique Nationale or FN in Belgium and Portugal. The A-bolt is made by either FN or someone else in Japan as are probably other Browning branded firearms, thus leading to the idea that all Brownings are Japanese.

FN is a multi-national firearms manufacturer and have made many of the Browning branded firearms for a long, long time. They also make the weapons the U.S. military uses and will be making the New Winchester model 70 in Columbia S.C. I could be wrong but I think that both the Winchester and Browning firearms names are now either owned or licensed by FN.

zksailfish

never has a problem. The rem had the problem

browning for the $ is the best gun you can buy... they do not jam! the only issue with the bar that i do not care for is the trigger. if you get an abolt you can get a spring kit that lets you get a trigger pull of about 2lbs.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
My BAR trigger is just fine. I have a lot of different rifles and the BAR on mine seems natural when I squeeze. Never noticed anything about it when shooting it. That is what you want.

gt40

gaswamper

i have always wanted a browning bar but the price has kept me away. but now i'm that i'm financially able i can't find what i want. i'm now shooting a remington 7400 {aka the jamamatic}in a carbine model with the synthetic stock. it's a great gun fun hunting thick cover.before that gun i hunted with a remington 742 in a carbine model. neither gun has given me any trouble but then again i always keep them clean. i have been looking at the browning bar in the stalker model but i can't find out if it comes in a carbine model. do you know of anyone that can answer my question.

i have always wanted a browning bar but the price has kept me away. but now i'm that i'm financially able i can't find what i want. i'm now shooting a remington 7400 {aka the jamamatic}in a carbine model with the synthetic stock. it's a great gun fun hunting thick cover.before that gun i hunted with a remington 742 in a carbine model. neither gun has given me any trouble but then again i always keep them clean. i have been looking at the browning bar in the stalker model but i can't find out if it comes in a carbine model. do you know of anyone that can answer my question.

they don't make them anymore with the 20" barrel. to bad though cause i sold one on here bout 6 months ago.... might want to check with racer1 though, he is the one that got it. he might be willin to sell it. it's in .270 caliber

Niner

I have an old M74 Sportsman (the el-cheapo version of the M7400). Never had a jam with it, but I keep the chamber clean.