Caliber advice for my teenager

bwarren2

My 16 year old son just started hunting this year. He wants to keep going so I want ot buy him a rifle for X-Mas. He is only about 130lbs (strong as an OX though). I hunted w a 243 when I was his age and it's not my favorite caliber for deer. I know it will kill a deer, so will a .22. What caliber suggestions do you guys have. I was thinking .308 but that might be a little to much. He shot my .270 at the range and I know that is way to much for him. I have been shooting std Rem Core Lokt 150 grains in it. Thanks, hope this doesn't open a can of worms.

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
257 Roberts or 7/08......They are as good as any other suggestion you will get. Light recoil and plenty for deer.

rayjay

Remington makes reduced recoil loads for several of the more common cartridges. The 270 load uses a 115 gr bullet at about 2600 or 2700 FPS. I have a Savage 16 with a Pacnor 6.8 SPC bbl. The 6.8 shoots a 115 bullet between 2500 and 2700 depending on the loading. The recoil is very mild and the rifle is a joy to shoot.

jneil

When I was a teenage the more it kicked and the louder the muzzle blast the more I wanted to shoot it. It makes my head hurt thinking about it now. Get him a Remington 260.

bullgator

.257 Roberts, .260, 6.5x55, or 7mm-08.... these will work for a newbie or a veteran hunter so you won't need to "upgrade" in a few years.

Rebel 3

My choices in order
1)7mm-08
2)260
3)308
4)257 roberts
I personally shot a 7mm-08. They have little recoil compared to many other guns. 260 is real similar. 308 is also. I use to shoot a 257 roberts and had good success with it. Any of those calibers will be all he needs through adulthood. Just make sure you get a gun that fits him and he is comfortable with it since he is a smaller person. Most of the common manufacturers make models that fit smaller people well.

Booger

My 12 year old shoots a Remington 700 SPS youth model in 7mm08. It kicks him pretty good but he loves to shoot it and is dead on with it.

Havana Dude

my 14 yo is shooting a 270, with no problems at all. He's been shooting since he could walk near bout it. He started with the 270 last year after shooting a 243 for several years. He is 5'8" 180lbs.

ejs1980

I say 7mm08 Start him with a good 120 grain load and as he gets older move him up to 140 grain loads. The 243 is plenty of gun for deer but as he gets older he'll want something bigger. A nice 7mm 08 is all the gun anyone needs for deer.

Glock 21

When I was a teenage the more it kicked and the louder the muzzle blast the more I wanted to shoot it. It makes my head hurt thinking about it now. Get him a Remington 260.

same here. i have a 7mm mag, it kicked at first but after shooting it awhile i dont think it kicks anymore. i am 15 5'10" 180lbs.

bevills1

Both Remington and Federal make reduced recoil loads, and I'd pick a 270, 308 or 30/06 and use those reduced recoil loads to start. Just gives these a try in the 270 you already have before deciding, and I think you'll see the benefits of this solution.

REMINGTON710

well I shoot a 30-06 and I'm not a big boy by any means...I love it. I think the 7mm08 or .270 or 30-06 would be good for him. something that will last him a life time

RatherBHuntin

Go with something in a short action and put a quality recoil pad on it which shouldn't cost more than about $30. If you get a rifle with a wood stock the extra weight will cut down on the recoil also.
.308, 7-08, .260 are all good choices. The 308 will give you the most ammo choices which is as important as anything else

parolebear

IMHO Outstanding answers in all the comments. If you are not tied to a short action, I love a 6.5x55. You can find the Kimber sportized models fairly reasonable. It can hunt anything in North America with very mild recoil. The 7/08 and 260 are good whitetail choices. I am not a 243/6mm fan just my stupid opinion. Thanks for reading.

RJY66

Both Remington and Federal make reduced recoil loads, and I'd pick a 270, 308 or 30/06 and use those reduced recoil loads to start. Just gives these a try in the 270 you already have before deciding, and I think you'll see the benefits of this solution.

That is exactly what I would do.

Here is info on Remington's reduced recoil ammo...They claim that their reduced recoil '06 and 270 loads kick less than a standard .243. You can't hardly beat that.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/managed-Recoil.asp

rhino4x4

25/06 is a good caliber. it is a flat shooting gun with enough power to knock down a deer easy. my girlfriend shoots one that i bought her, she is deadly with it. she is only 5'2" and less than 110 lbs.