300 Win Mag. Fusion 150 question

jflog

This is my first time hunting with a 300 win mag. tried the fusion 150 in it. The accuracy is great but I shot a doe this past weekend and wasn't that impressed. The doe was about 40 yards shot her in the front shoulder dropped her but the bullet didn't pass through. I was kind of shocked at that. Is this the norm or should I change bullets? I like for my bullet to have a pass through everytime with a broad side shot in case the deer runs off I will have a good blood trail. Just wanting to get some thoughts on this.

Glock 21

With a 300 win mag you would think it would pass through even if it hit a shoulder or 2. did you clean her out yourself because if you did, you might know what happened to the bullet. deer shouldnt run too far if you hit them with a 300 anywhere in the shoulder.

The last time you started a thread on this topic you got a lot of recommendations for a 180 grain bullet. Your experience with the doe is an example of why. Get at least a 165 grain bullet and learn to shoot around the shoulder.

jflog

Thanks for the comments. I was also told that the 180 wouldn't expand much on close shots and being I shoot anywhere from 40-400 yards I wasn't sure of which grain to use. I think I will change to the 165 because of the results that I had with the 150.

I didn't field dress her myself because the processor I use prefers to do it himself, which I have no problem with that! lol

captainhook

If you are not used to shooting a magnum then this is something you should get used to. There are a lot of bullets that won't hold together at magnum velocities at close range. The best bullet I have found for magnums is the Nosler Accubond. I have shot deer from 30 yds to 350 yds and the Accubond performs the same way every time. Entry hole, exit hole, and lots of blood. To me the Accubond is the perfect bullet. I shoot 180's out of my 300WSM and 140's out of my 270WSM. Another bullet of stout construction is the Barnes TSX. I have shot these from a 243 and they are accurate. I have not used them on deer yet but their reputation leads me to believe they should perform well at magnum velocities even up close.

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
I thought I had the same problem. After close inspection it was a pass through. The exit hole looked smaller than the entry. Unless you hit a major bone, the 300mag won't expand at all! But it still drops them in their tracks for me.

jflog

Thanks! That is very helpful information. I shot the accubond in my 270 with good results. I think I will give them a try in the 300 mag as well.

Nga.

I've taken a lot of deer with the 300 mag. I've tried a couple rounds before sticking with the Winchester Failsafe 165gr they can put the hurt on a deer and no problems penetrating both shoulders but don't plan on salvaging any either.

jflog

I remember reading something about the failsafe bullets. I think someone said they don't make them anymore, that some other bullet has taken there place. Do you remember which bullet that was? I like a bullet to knock a hole in what ever it hits. I don't care much about salvaging the front shoulder or neck but I like to have as big of an exit as possible.

12gamag

Man I have had nothing but problems with Fusion 150's
I shoot a .308 winchester and my shots are inbetween 10-75 yards at the max. I have shot 5 deer with a box of Fusion and on 4 of the deer they didnt expand-went clean through!!
I shot a spike two years ago 4 times-and he just stood there the whole time!!! I didnt know what was wrong till after the deer dropped and I noticed that most of the bulletes just fragmented upon entry.
Last year I shot a big 7-pointer from about 10 yards and almost lost him. I was sure I had made a perfect shot(lol-hard to miss at 10 yards) but there was NO BLOOD AT ALL.
After lookin for two hours I finally found him 50 yards from my stand. My shot was perfect-right behind the shoulder and a double lung/heart hit. But it was a pass through-which explained for no blood.

Needless to say I chunked that box of bullets!!
Im back to shooting good ol'remington corelockts